Paul, Weiss is committed to providing impactful pro bono legal assistance to individuals and organizations in need. Our program is all-encompassing, spanning the core issues facing our society.
Gun Violence Prevention Efforts
We are deeply committed to combating the gun violence epidemic.
- Together with Romanucci & Blandin, LLC and Everytown Law, we filed several lawsuits in Illinois state court on behalf of victims of the deadly July 4 mass shooting in Highland Park. Our complaints allege that Smith & Wesson intentionally markets its rifles to “disturbed young men” who have time and again been the perpetrators of mass shootings.
- Members of the Paul, Weiss community played a key role in the landmark $73 million settlement with the estate of Remington Arms Co. LLC, the manufacturer of the Bushmaster AR-15 military assault rifle used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The settlement ends a seven-year legal battle in a wrongful death class action against the gunmaker filed by the families of certain Sandy Hook victims.
- Led by our chairman Brad Karp and partner Chris Boehning, in December 2016 we took the lead role in forming the Firearms Accountability Task Force (FACT), an unprecedented effort by leading gun violence prevention organizations and law firms to use affirmative litigation to confront this national issue. In 2017, we worked with FACT on developing broad-ranging, innovative litigation strategies while continuing to advocate nationally on the issue.
- We are advising SHOT: We the People, a non-profit organization dedicated to communicating the story of gun violence in America through a collection of images, audio and personal narratives. SHOT enables users to interact with the content to share their personal experience and to increase the information available to the public regarding the gun epidemic in America. Paul, Weiss is currently representing SHOT in connection with its 501(c)3 registration, corporate governance materials and a variety of intellectual property questions and a trademark application.
- We are advising the New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) on a variety of corporate governance documents, board advisory work and tax work. We have also provided counsel on the gun prevention landscape across the state. Our pro bono work and corporate associates were honored at the NYAGV gala for our commitment to reduce gun violence in New York.
- Alongside our co-counsel, we won a $25 million verdict in a lawsuit filed on behalf of nine pro bono clients who suffered physical and mental injuries resulting from the violence at the “August 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Our successful suit against private militia members who marched in the "Unite the Right” rally could serve as a template for future legal action as local officials struggle to contain such groups rallying across the country.