Paul, Weiss is committed to providing impactful pro bono legal assistance to individuals and organizations in need. Our program is all-encompassing, spanning the core issues facing our society.
Gun Violence Prevention Efforts
We are deeply committed to combating the gun violence epidemic.
- In September 2021, we filed two amicus briefs—one on behalf of the American Bar Association and one on behalf of the Partnership for New York City—in the U.S. Supreme Court case, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. et al. v. Bruen, et al., a challenge to New York State’s concealed carry licensing regime widely considered to be the most significant Second Amendment case in over a decade. The ABA brief argues that the state’s concealed carry regime falls within state and local governments’ longstanding ability to tailor firearm carry regulation to local conditions and needs, within constitutional constraints. The Partnership amicus brief argues that New York City’s unique population density makes the reasonable regulation of firearms necessary for public safety.
- Led by our chairman Brad Karp and partner Chris Boehning, in December 2016 we took the lead role in forming the Firearms Accountability Task Force (FACT), an unprecedented effort by leading gun violence prevention organizations and law firms to use affirmative litigation to confront this national issue. In 2017, we worked with FACT on developing broad-ranging, innovative litigation strategies while continuing to advocate nationally on the issue.
- We are advising SHOT: We the People, a non-profit organization dedicated to communicating the story of gun violence in America through a collection of images, audio and personal narratives. SHOT enables users to interact with the content to share their personal experience and to increase the information available to the public regarding the gun epidemic in America. Paul, Weiss is currently representing SHOT in connection with its 501(c)3 registration, corporate governance materials and a variety of intellectual property issues.
- We are advising the New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) on a variety of corporate governance documents, board advisory work and tax work. We have also provided counsel on the gun prevention landscape across the state. Our pro bono work and corporate associates were honored at the NYAGV gala for our commitment to reduce gun violence in New York.
- In a bid to rein in potential violence stemming from armed groups, we are also co-counsel with the Georgetown University Law Center’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection in a lawsuit it filed on behalf of the city of Charlottesville and local businesses and neighborhood groups against the private militias that marched at the August 2017 “Unite the Right” rally. The suit could serve as a template for future legal action as other local officials struggle to contain such groups rallying across the country.