ProfessionalsJohn C. Godfrey
John Godfrey is counsel in the Corporate Department and a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Group and Private Equity Group. He regularly advises in the negotiation and structuring of mergers and acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures on behalf of a diverse range of clients, including public and private companies, private equity funds, financial institutions and other entities.
John’s recent transactions include representing:
- ADT Inc. in its $450 million investment from Google in connection with the companies’ establishment of a long-term commercial partnership
- Air Methods Corporation in its $2.5 billion sale to affiliates of American Securities LLC
- Apollo Global Management and its portfolio companies in various matters, including:
- its $8.1 billion take-private acquisition of Univar Solutions
- Intrado Corporation, a portfolio company of Apollo, in the $2.4 billion sale of Intrado’s safety business to Stonepeak
- an $1.2 billion equity investment by State Farm in ADT, a portfolio company of Apollo
- its $338 million take-private acquisition of The New Home Company
- Shutterfly, a portfolio company of Apollo, in its $225 million acquisition of Spoonflower
- its $2.2 billion take-private acquisition of Diamond Resorts International
- ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its $5.2 billion sale to Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Chesapeake Lodging Trust in its $2.7 billion sale to Park Hotels & Resorts Inc.
- Crescent Communities in its sale to Sumitomo Forestry America, Inc.
- Encana Corporation (now known as Ovintiv) in its $7.7 billion acquisition of Newfield Exploration Company
- Hemisphere Media Group in its take-private sale to a subsidiary of Gato Investments, a portfolio investment of Searchlight Capital Partners, including the company’s sale of Pantaya to TelevisaUnivision
- The Medicines Company in its $9.7 billion sale to Novartis
- Mortgage Assets Management, LLC and its affiliate in connection with the acquisition of Ditech’s reverse mortgage business, Reverse Mortgage Solutions, Inc.
- Mosaic Acquisition Corp. (SPAC) in its combination with Vivint Smart Home, Inc. to form a publicly listed company with an enterprise value of approximately $4.2 billion
- North Mountain Merger Corp. (SPAC) in its proposed combination with Corcentric to form a publicly traded company with a pro-forma enterprise value of $1.2 billion
- Oakwood Homes in its sale to Clayton Properties Group, a division of Clayton Homes
- Ply Gem Holdings in its $2.4 billion sale to affiliates of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
- Qualcomm Incorporated in its successful defense against a $142 billion hostile takeover offer from Broadcom
- Reservoir Holdings, Inc. in its $788 million combination with Roth CH Acquisition II Co. (SPAC)
- Searchlight Capital Partners in its $1 billion acquisition, in partnership with fintech company Rêv Worldwide, Inc., of Netspend’s consumer business from Global Payments
- South Mountain Merger Corp. (SPAC) in its $1.3 billion combination with Billtrust
- Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. in its $1.25 billion sale of its Global Auto Care business to Energizer Holdings, Inc.
- Trine Acquisition Corp. (SPAC) in its combination with Desktop Metal to form a publicly listed company with an estimated post-transaction equity value of up to $2.5 billion
In law school, John served as editor-in-chief of the Review of Banking & Financial Law.