A counsel in the Litigation Department and member of the Intellectual Property Litigation practice group, Josephine Young focuses her practice on patent litigation matters. Ms. Young is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Young worked as a patent examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office where she examined patents in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and chemical arts, and as a patent agent where she filed and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patents and assisted in interference and opposition proceedings. She has litigated patents in a wide variety of technical areas, with a particular emphasis on biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Representative cases include:
- Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc.& Aventisub LLC v. Roxane Laboratories, Inc., No. 13-CV-1973 (D. Del.), Appeal No. 16-2707 (Fed. Cir.), No. 18-817 (U.S.) – representing Vanda in an ANDA litigation regarding an atypical antipsychotic.
- Baxalta Inc. v. Genentech, Inc., Civ. No. 17-cv-509 (D. Del.), Appeal No. 19-1527 (Fed. Cir.) – representing Genentech in a patent litigation regarding antibodies for the treatment of hemophilia.
- Biogen MA Inc. v. Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, EMD Serono, Inc., Pfizer Inc., and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., No. 10-CV-02734 (D. N.J.), Appeal No. 19-1133 (Fed. Cir.) – representing Biogen in a patent infringement case regarding treatments for multiple sclerosis using recombinant proteins.
- In re Certain Botulinum Toxin Products, Processes for Manufacturing or Relating to Same and Certain Products Containing Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-1145 (I.T.C.) – representing Evolus in a misappropriation of trade secrets case regarding botulinum toxins for aesthetic uses.
- In re Certain Microfluidic Devices, Inv. No. 337-TA-1068 (I.T.C.) – representing 10X Genomics in a patent infringement case regarding microfluidic devices for next generation sequencing.
- Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., Apotex Inc. and Apotex Corp., MSN Pharmaceuticals Inc. and MSN Laboratories Private Limited, Nos. 18-cv-651, 18-cv-689, 18-cv-690, 19-cv-560, 19-cv-685 (D. Del.) – representing Vanda in ANDA litigations regarding a melatonin agonist.
- In re BRCA1-and BRCA2-Based Hereditary Cancer Test Patent Litigation, No. 14-MD-02510 (D. Utah) – represented Counsyl in patent infringement case regarding BRCA cancer gene testing.
- Yeda Research and Development Co. v. iCAD Inc., No. 11-CV-6824 (S.D.N.Y.) – represented Yeda in a patent infringement case regarding computer-aided magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy for cancer diagnostics.
- Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. v. Mylan Inc., Ranbaxy Inc., Sandoz, Inc., Barr Laboratories, Inc., Aurobindo Pharma, Ltd., Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., et al., Nos. 09-CV-00033, 10-CV-00120, 10-CV-524, 10-CV-01050, 12-CV-00707 (D. Del.) – represented Medicis in patent infringement cases regarding antibiotic treatments of acne.
- Impax Laboratories, Inc. v. Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp., No. 08-CV-00253 (N.D. Cal.) – represented Medicis in a declaratory judgment action seeking to invalidate a patent prior to its listing in the Orange Book.