A partner in the Litigation Department, Liza Velazquez has extensive experience representing corporate clients, prominent banks, insurance companies, investment management firms and other financial institutions in a broad range of litigation and regulatory matters, specializing in complex commercial matters as well as class and collective action employment litigation.
Liza has represented clients before state and federal courts
across the country as well as in arbitrations and before federal
and state regulatory authorities.
Liza's diverse client list includes Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, ING, NBCUniversal, MacAndrews & Forbes and Prudential Insurance. Significant trial and major case representations include:
- Citigroup in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy proceedings;
- Citigroup's brokerage unit, Smith Barney, in a Title VII nationwide employment discrimination class action;
- NBCUniversal in employment class action litigation involving the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Prudential Insurance in a litigation challenging the prior settlement of hundreds of employment discrimination claims;
- ING in litigations arising out of ING's $1.5 billion sale of certain Mexican subsidiaries and the investment of a client account during the subprime crisis;
- A trial victory in Colorado state court for a national bank in a lawsuit concerning the conduct of an independent mortgage foreclosure review;
- JPMorgan Chase and JP Morgan Investment Management in litigations arising out of the investment of client accounts during the subprime crisis;
- BankOne/JPMorgan Chase in all mutual fund market timing regulatory investigations and civil litigation in connection with the One Group mutual funds;
- The successful trial of a landmark human rights case brought under the Alien Tort Statute.
Liza serves by appointment on the New York State Bar's
Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the
First Judicial District. She has contributed to two reports by the
Association of the Bar of the City of New York on human rights
standards applicable to the treatment of detainees post-9/11. She
has also successfully represented numerous asylum clients. She is a
member of the Practical Law Litigation Advisory Board.
Liza was an executive editor for the Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Journal and a staff editor for the Human Rights Law Journal.