A partner in the Litigation Department, Meredith Dearborn has significant experience trying high-stakes commercial disputes for leading technology companies.
Meredith has taken eight cases to trial, winning favorable outcomes on behalf of several of the largest tech firms in Northern California. Her matters involve a variety of substantive areas, including intellectual property, contract, antitrust, and California state statutory and common law issues.
Meredith has long been recognized for her talent and dynamism. She was recently named a “Litigator of the Week” by The American Lawyer for a high-stakes trial win on behalf of a large technology company in federal court in Boston. In 2018, Meredith was recognized as one of Silicon Valley’s “40 Under 40” by Silicon Valley Business Journal and as a Next Generation Honoree in The Recorder’s 2019 “Women Leaders in Tech Law.” She also has been named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers every year since 2013.
Meredith has played a key role in several of the most high-profile matters in California in recent years, bringing efficiency, attention to detail and a trial-ready instinct to her cases. Meredith approaches each matter as if it is going to trial by crafting winning strategies from the outset; clients trust her to prepare their most important witnesses to testify.
Meredith’s recent achievements include:
- winning a defense victory at trial on behalf of a major technology company in a $750 million unfair competition lawsuit in Boston federal court. The court rejected nearly every one of plaintiffs’ arguments, including all damages claims, delivering a complete defense verdict.
- securing the favorable settlement of a high-profile trade secrets matter concerning self-driving cars, which resolved after four days of evidence at trial.
- successfully obtaining summary judgment in favor of an audio technology company in a fraud, tort and statutory securities suit brought in California state court.
- representing a major software and technology company in various matters concerning intellectual property and contracts, including a major patent and copyright trial in the Northern District of California.
- winning a complete defense verdict as a member of the trial team that represented a top technology company in a high-profile billion-dollar federal antitrust class action concerning the portable music industry.
- securing a favorable outcome as a member of the trial team that represented a Bay Area-based medical device and technology startup in a patent inventorship dispute in the Northern District of California.
- winning a favorable appellate decision as a member of the trial team in Perry v. Schwarzenegger, which upheld the trial court’s opinion that established a constitutional right to marry for gay and lesbian citizens in California.
Meredith is a Lecturer in Law at Stanford Law School, where she teaches Federal Litigation in a Global Context. She regularly presents on intellectual property and trial practice issues for legal industry, educational and trade groups. Meredith also sits on the Advisory Board of the East Bay Community Law Center, one of the largest non-profit organizations offering free legal services in the San Francisco Bay Area.
While at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, Meredith served as an extern at the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division in San Francisco. She was Senior Supervising Editor of the California Law Review and received the Thelen, Marrin Prize for Law Journal Writing in 2009. Meredith previously clerked for the Hon. John C. Coughenour of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.