As counsel in the Tax Department, Sarah Katz advises clients on a variety of tax matters in connection with domestic and international transactions across multiple industries. Sarah provides tax counsel to investment funds and their portfolio companies, as well as strategic clients, in the structuring and negotiation of taxable and tax-free mergers & acquisitions (both public and private deals), spin-offs, partnerships and joint ventures, debt restructurings, preferred equity investments and financing transactions. Additionally, Sarah advises asset managers on tax and structuring matters relating to the formation and operation of investment funds (including private equity and credit funds), as well as investors in connection with the structuring and acquisition of their investments in asset managers and investment funds.
Some of Sarah’s recent representations include:
- Apollo Global Management and affiliated funds in high-profile transactions, including:
- in their majority acquisition of ABC Technologies Holdings Inc. from ABC Group Canada LP (ABC LP), an affiliate of funds managed by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
- in the formation of its Sponsor and Secondary Solutions business (S3), a dedicated secondary and fund finance capital solutions platform totaling $4 billion, including a cornerstone investment from ADIA
- in its strategic and financial partnership with Sofinnova Partners, a France-based life sciences venture capital firm
- Apollo Strategic Growth Capital, a special purpose acquisition company, in its IPO and $5 billion business combination with American Express Global Business Travel, a B2B travel platform, to form a publicly traded company
- An ad hoc group of first lien, second lien, and unsecured lenders in the chapter 11 restructuring of Endo Pharmaceuticals, a specialty pharmaceutical company. The group comprised approximately of $3.2 billion, nearly forty percent, of the company’s funded debt.
- Continental Grain Company in its joint venture with Cargill, for a total equity value of $4.53 billion
- General Electric in the more than $30 billion combination of its jet leasing unit, GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS), with AerCap Holdings
- IBM in the spin-off of its managed infrastructure services business into a separate publicly traded company
- IG Group Holdings in its $1 billion acquisition of tastytrade
- Oak Hill Advisors in its $4.2 billion sale to T. Rowe Price Group
- Qualcomm Incorporated, alongside SSW Partners, in its $4.5 billion topping bid for Veoneer
- Salem Harbor Power Development LP and certain of its affiliates, owner of a 674 MW gas fired combined cycle electric power generating facility located in Salem, Massachusetts, in their prearranged chapter 11 cases commenced on March 23, 2022 in the District of Delaware