Cryptocurrency & Blockchain
Long recognized for its work guiding clients in various industries through their most significant regulatory and enforcement challenges, Paul, Weiss is at the forefront in helping financial institutions, fintech companies, investors, media and entertainment clients and technology companies navigate the new world of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. Our multi-disciplinary team helps clients capitalize on the business opportunities, identify the challenges and mitigate the emerging legal risks of digital assets.
- Authentic Brands Group (ABG) with advice relating to a cryptocurrency licensing agreement.
- Binance, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, in federal and state court lawsuits regarding the operation of its exchange.
- TeraWulf Inc., a New York-based ESG-focused cryptocurrency mining company, in its business combination with IKONICS Corporation, a Minnesota-based imaging technology company, to form a publicly listed company.
- An Art Auction House in developing digital ledger technology for fine art provenance.
- Global Investment Management Firm in buying out two VC investors' stake in the general partner of a cryptocurrency-focused hedge fund.
- An International Asset Manager on the treatment of Bitcoin investments for U.S. federal income taxation purposes.
- A Major U.S. Technology Company in proactive regulatory advice regarding the development of new fintech and e-payment technologies and products.
- The founder and Board Chairman of Ripple, a real-time gross settlement system, currency exchange and remittance network, in SEC litigation asserting violations of federal securities law.
- A Potential Investor in a major cryptocurrency exchange, including review and analysis of U.S. regulatory issues.
- Virtual Currency Exchanges in their responses to various subpoenas and investigation requests by the DOJ, SEC, CFTC, IRS, FBI, DHS and state agencies. Our representation of clients in these matters includes assessment of risk associated with particular virtual currency transactions, customers and jurisdictions.
- Various Swap Counterparties and Investors in the negotiation of derivatives trading documentation, execution agreements and custody arrangements for crypto assets.