ProfessionalsBrian C. Lavin
Brian C. Lavin is a partner in the Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group. He regularly advises in the negotiation and structuring of mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and leveraged buyouts on behalf of a diverse range of clients, including public and private companies, private equity funds, financial institutions and other entities.
Brian's recent private equity transactions include representing:
- Oak Hill Capital Partners in its numerous transactions including:
- its take-private acquisition of Otelco Inc.
- its investment in Calero Software to finance its merger with MDSL
- its minority equity sale to Stonyrock Partners LP
- its acquisition of an equity stake in Mercer Advisors from Genstar Capital and Lovell Minnick Partners
- its acquisition of Berlin Packaging from Investcorp
- its acquisition of FirstLight Fiber from Riverside Partners
- its investment in VetCor Group Holdings Corp.
- its acquisition of Safe Fleet Holdings, LLC from The Sterling Group
- its sale of Wave Broadband
- its acquisition of Checkers Drive-In Restaurants, Inc. from Sentinel Capital Partners
- its acquisition and subsequent sale of ViaWest, Inc.
- its numerous transactions involving its portfolio companies including, AccentCare, Berlin Packaging, LLC, FirstLight, Firth Rixson and Imagine! Print Solution
- Cast & Crew Entertainment Services, a portfolio company of Silver Lake Partners, in its sale to EQT
- The Chatterjee Group and Rhône Capital in their joint acquisition of the Lummus Technology and a division of McDermott International, Inc., in connection with the company’s chapter 11 case
- Crestview Partners in its multiple investments including:
- with other institutional investors in Cumulus’s Media Inc. as part of Cumulus’ acquisition of Citadel Broadcasting Corporation
- Camping World/Good Sam Enterprises
- Shred-it International, a portfolio company of Birch Hill Equity Partners, in its merger with Cintas Corporation’s document destruction business
- WaveDivision Capital and Searchlight Capital Partners in their acquisition of Frontier Communications’ Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana operations
Brian’s recent public company transactions include representing:
- ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Cigna in its acquisition of Brighter Inc.
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co. in its acquisition of Sepracor
- Emdeon in its sale to Blackstone
- The special committee of the board of directors of Pattern Energy Group Inc. in its approximately all-cash acquisition by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Restaurant Brands International in its acquisition of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
- Time Warner Cable in its merger with Charter Communications
- Universal American Corp. in its acquisition of APS Healthcare
Brian’s recent private company transactions include representing:
- Boat Rocker Media in its acquisition of Matador Content
- The Discovery Channel in its 50/50 joint venture with Hasbro to launch The Hub
- DS Services Holdings in its sale to Cott Corporation from Crestview Partners
- The Getty family in its buyout of The Carlyle Group’s interests in Getty Images Inc.
- Major League Baseball in its sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to Guggenheim Baseball Management
- Viawest in its sale to Shaw Communications from Oak Hill Capital Partners along with other shareholders and the subsequent sale of ViaWest by Shaw Communications to Peak10
- Vice Media in connection with various private placements and its joint venture with A&E Networks to launch VICELAND
- WME IMG (now Endeavor) in:
- connection with the merger of Learfield with IMG College, a subsidiary of Endeavor
- its strategic partnership with, and sale of a minority interest to, Silver Lake Partners
- the formation of a new China-based subsidiary
- its investments in WME IMG by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, GIC and SoftBank Group
- its acquisitions of Ultimate Fighting Championship, Fusion Marketing and IMG LIVE