ProfessionalsBrian P. Finnegan
Brian Finnegan is a partner in the Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions practice group. He represents private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in a wide variety of transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, strategic investments, recapitalizations and opportunistic financings. Brian has represented clients in the chemicals, energy, gaming, financial services, airline, education, publishing and general industrials fields, among others.
Prior to practicing law, Brian spent eight years as an officer in the U.S. Navy, flying in the carrier-based E-2C Hawkeye aircraft, and later serving as a military advisor to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s South America section.
Representative experience includes:
- Funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC in the acquisition of a majority interest in Direct ChassisLink, Inc., a North Carolina-based provider of marine and domestic container chassis and asset management services to the U.S. intermodal industry, from EQT Infrastructure;
- McGraw-Hill Education, a portfolio company of funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, in its agreement for a merger of equals with Cengage Learning Inc.;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in the acquisition of Sun Country Airlines, a leading Minnesota-based regional airline;
- MPM Holdings Inc., a New York-based silicones and advanced materials company, in its approximately $3.1 billion acquisition by SJL Partners LLC, KCC Corporation and Wonik QnC Corporation;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in the acquisition of Phoenix Services LLC, a Pennsylvania-based provider of outsourced slag handling, metal reclamation, and other services to leading steel mill customers;
- Consortium of investors, including The Vistria Group, LLC and funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC, in their $1.1 billion take-private acquisition of Apollo Education Group, Inc., one of the world's largest private education providers;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC, in the concurrent acquisitions of Maxim Crane Works, a provider of comprehensive lifting services in the United States, from affiliates of Platinum Equity, and AmQuip Crane Rental, a provider of highly specialized, complex lifting solutions, from affiliates of Clearlake Capital Group, L.P.;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC, along with Riverstone Holdings LLC and other investors, in the $7.15 billion acquisition of the oil and natural gas exploration and production assets of El Paso Corporation;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in the $2.4 billion carve-out acquisition of McGraw-Hill Education, a digital learning company, from The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.;
- MidCap Financial, a middle-market lending unit, in its $3.6 billion acquisition of loans managed by Mubadala GE Capital, a joint venture lending business between General Electric Capital Corporation and Abu Dhabi's Mubadala Development Company;
- Time Warner Cable in its $3 billion acquisition of Insight Communications;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in a $300 million investment in CH2M, a Colorado-based provider of critical infrastructure and natural resource solutions;
- Penn Foster Education, a Pennsylvania-based provider of skills development and digital credentialing solutions and a portfolio company of Vistria Group, in its acquisition by an investor group led by Bain Capital;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in an investment in Laureate Education, Inc., a global network of degree-granting higher education institutions;
- Liz Claiborne, Inc. (now Kate Spade & Company) in its sale of the Liz Claiborne family of brands and the Monet brand to J. C. Penney Corporation, Inc.;
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in its formation of a new growth-oriented entity, Caesars Growth Partners, and a related $1.1 billion rights offering; and
- Harrah's Entertainment, Inc. in its acquisition of the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino.
Brian is recognized in The Legal 500 for his work on “M&A: large deals ($1bn+).”