Bruce Birenboim is a senior trial lawyer with a broad focus on securities and M&A litigation, commercial litigation, and internal investigation and regulatory work. Mr. Birenboim has worked on some of the most significant securities cases and regulatory investigations of the past several decades, including multiple matters arising out of the financial crisis of 2008, various investigations into investment analysts’ independence and market timing in the early-to-mid 2000s, and numerous internal investigations and regulatory inquiries related to alleged corporate accounting fraud and investment bank derivatives practices. Mr. Birenboim also has extensive experience in complex securities and tort class actions and Delaware M&A litigation. Mr. Birenboim has significant trial experience in both the federal and state courts and before private arbitration panels. Mr. Birenboim is a member of the Lawdragon 500 List of the Leading Lawyers in America since 2013.
Mr. Birenboim's most significant recent representations include:
- Counsel for Citigroup in multiple residential mortgage-backed securities litigations and regulatory proceedings and DOJ investigations in federal and state courts around the country.
- Counsel for the NFL in its landmark concussion litigation.
- Counsel for Glencore in a multi-billion-dollar litigation brought by a trust purporting to represent the interests of PDVSA, the national oil company of Venezuela.
- Multiple representations of companies, private equity funds and hedge funds in Delaware M&A litigation.
- Trial Counsel for Citigroup in the successful defense of a $7.5 billion arbitration with the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Counsel for multiple law firms in discrimination and other matters.
- Trial Counsel for JPMorgan in matters seeking damages in excess of $1 billion arising out of investments in residential mortgage- and asset-backed securities.
- Counsel for Bloomberg in connection with matters relating to news reporters’ access to electronic information.
- Counsel to Citigroup in connection with hearings before the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission.
- Trial Counsel for Viking Global, a prominent hedge fund, in the Delaware Chancery Court in the successful defense of a $750 million claim by one of Viking’s former founders.
- Counsel to James Cramer in multiple regulatory and litigation matters related to his work as host of CNBC’s “Mad Money” and founder of the TheStreet.com.
For the past two decades, Mr. Birenboim has regularly represented financial institutions in a variety of securities and commercial litigations and related investigations. Mr. Birenboim also has handled a broad range of traditional commercial litigations and arbitrations involving contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes, investment banker malpractice actions, and tax, real estate, partnership and entertainment industry related problems.
Mr. Birenboim also regularly represents the firm and acts as the firm’s general counsel.
During 1995, Mr. Birenboim served as chief counsel to the New York City Mayor’s Investigatory Commission on School Safety and recently concluded a three-year term as a member of the New York City Bar’s Committee on the Judiciary, which reviews all judicial candidates for the New York federal and state courts.
Mr. Birenboim served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review.