1285 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019-6064
A partner in the Litigation Department, Claudia Hammerman has extensive experience in handling a broad range of litigation and regulatory matters with particular emphasis defending financial institutions and corporations in complex securities and commercial matters as well as representing financial institutions and other clients before the SEC, the Department of Justice and federal and state regulatory authorities.
Claudia also represents numerous financial institutions and Fortune 100 companies in various confidential internal investigations.
Claudia has recently represented Credit Suisse and the MIT Corporation in recent high profile investigations. Specifically, Claudia:
- Represented a Special Committee of the Credit Suisse Board in performing a comprehensive investigation of the bank’s relationship with Archegos Capital and ultimate loss of more than $5.5 billion.
- Represented a Special Committee of the MIT Corporation in performing an independent investigation of MIT’s dealings with, and donations received from, Jeffrey Epstein.
Claudia has served as litigation counsel on significant securities and commercial disputes for Citigroup, JPMorgan, Wachovia, Bank of New York Mellon and Bank of America. Among her recent significant matters, Claudia:
- Represented Citigroup in connection with various CDO and other subprime-related litigations and regulatory matters.
- Represented Bank of America in connection with certain regulatory investigations.
- Represented Bank of New York Mellon in various litigations and regulatory matters relating to foreign exchange transactions.
- Represented Citigroup in all litigations and regulatory matters relating to Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy and SIPC proceeding.
- Represented Citigroup in all litigations and regulatory matters relating to Enron’s bankruptcy.
- Represented JPMorgan in litigations and regulatory matters relating to its dealings with Delphi Corporation.
- Represented Citigroup in litigations and regulatory matters relating to its dealings with Dynegy.
- Represented Wachovia in litigations relating to auction rate securities.
In 2022, Claudia was named a “Litigation Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal. Claudia has also been selected by her peers for The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers and by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star and one of the Top 250 Women in Litigation.
Claudia has taught several courses in Constitutional Law at Smith College and at Haverford College, and served on the Harvard Law Review. In 1991-92, she clerked for Judge Jon O. Newman, former chief judge of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.