Claudine Meredith-Goujon is a partner in the Intellectual Property Group, a Deputy Co-Chair of the Corporate Department and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. She concentrates her practice on intellectual property transactions and counseling. Ms. Meredith-Goujon has advised on a variety of transactional intellectual property matters, including licensing of trademarks, brands, copyrights and software, as well as sponsorship agreements, trademark clearance, prosecution and registration and enforcement and maintenance of intellectual property assets. Her practice includes numerous Internet law issues, including licensing and distribution of content online and the negotiation of commercial agreements, including IT and vendor contracts. Ms. Meredith-Goujon’s practice also includes addressing and structuring the intellectual property aspect of mergers and acquisitions, investment funds, securitizations of franchise businesses and financings in a broad range of industries.
Ms. Meredith-Goujon's recent transactions include:
- Advance, a New York-based company that operates and invests in media, communications and technology businesses, in its acquisition of Palladian Holdings, Inc., owner of Turnitin, a California-based provider of plagiarism detection technology and other related products from an investment entity affiliated with Insight Venture Partners, GIC and their co-investors.
- Berkshire Partners in its investment in Kendra Scott Design, Inc., a fashion accessories brand.
- Citigroup, Inc. in the sale of:
- its retail banking business in Japan, including about 740,000 customer accounts, to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation; and
- Citi Cards Japan, Inc., a Japan-based issuer of branded credit cards, to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
- General Atlantic in its acquisition of a majority stake in Morphe Holdings, a California-based global beauty company, alongside existing investor Summit Partners and co-founders Chris and Linda Tawil.
- Honeywell, a Fortune 100 software-industrial company, in its spin-off of Garrett Motion Inc., Honeywell’s former Transportation Systems business.
- HP Inc. in its acquisition of the global printer business of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Kate Spade & Company (formerly Fifth & Pacific Companies) in its:
- sale of the Juicy Couture brand and related intellectual property assets to Authentic Brands Group;
- sale of Lucky Brand to LBD Acquisition Company; and
- $2.4 billion acquisition by Coach, Inc.
- KIK Custom Products in connection with a long-term licensing arrangement with The Clorox Company for the use of the CLOROX® brand on pool-cleaning products.
- Performance Sports Group Ltd., a developer and manufacturer of high performance sports equipment and apparel, in connection with its license from Q30 Sports, LLC, a research and development company dedicated to finding innovative solutions to the growing problem of Traumatic Brain Injury, to use its patent and technology assets in the development of products intended to address mild traumatic brain injury in sports and athletic activities.
- Roark Capital Group:
- portfolio company Jimmy John’s in connection with the $850 million whole-business securitization of its franchise system, consisting of 2,600 fast-casual restaurants in the United States;
- portfolio company Orangetheory Fitness, a franchisor of HIIT studios, in a private placement of whole-business structured finance notes; and
- portfolio company Primrose School Franchising Co. in its $275 million whole-business securitization.
- Simon Property Group, a real estate ownership, management and development company:
- as part of a consortium with General Growth Properties and Authentic Brands Group, in its acquisition of New York-based apparel and accessories brand, Aéropostale; and
- and joint venture partner in Aero OpCo LLC, the operating partner for Aéropostale, in connection with the acquisition of the Nautica brand by Authentic Brands Group from VF Corporation.
- Universal Parks & Resorts in connection with the proposed Universal Beijing Resort project which will include the Universal Beijing Theme Park, CityWalk and a Universal branded hotel.
- Funds affiliated with Viking Global Investors LP, a Connecticut-based global investment firm, in its investment in Rockefeller Capital Management, an independent financial services firm newly formed by Rockefeller Financial Services, Inc., the New York-based parent company of Rockefeller & Co., and Gregory J. Fleming.
Ms. Meredith-Goujon is a member of the Advisory Board of the Fashion, Arts, Media & Entertainment Law Center of Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. She was a member of the Journal of International Law and Politics and was a 1997 Paul, Weiss summer associate. Ms. Meredith-Goujon has also spoken at a variety of CLE programs on brand licensing, legal trends in fashion and emerging copyright issues.