ProfessionalsDaniel H. Levi
As counsel in the Litigation Department, Daniel H. Levi has handled complex litigation in a variety of substantive areas including products liability, insurance litigation, M&A litigation, actuarial malpractice and general commercial disputes. He has handled all aspects of pre-trial, trial and appellate work in state and federal courts, as well as civil and criminal regulatory matters and internal investigations.
Matters in which Daniel has had extensive involvement include:
- Various underwriting entities affiliated with CNA Financial Corporation as national coordinating counsel, advising and overseeing CNA’s national and international response to COVID-19 coverage issues and litigation across the full spectrum of insurance products.
- Grupo Salinas in a dispute with AT&T relating to the indemnification tax claims brought by AT&T following its $2.5 billion acquisition of Iusacell, Grupo Salinas’ Mexican wireless provider.
- Fresenius SE & Co., a German healthcare company, in successful litigation against Akorn, Inc., a U.S.-based pharmaceutical manufacturer, where the Delaware Court of Chancery ruled that Fresenius was justified in cancelling its $4.8 billion merger agreement on grounds of a material adverse change in Akorn’s business.
- AbbVie, Inc. in MDL litigation and multiple bellwether trials concerning the safety of the testosterone replacement therapy drug AndroGel.
- JP Morgan in litigation concerning the sale of mortgage-backed securities to two bond insurers.
- The Alaska Retirement Management Board, trustee of Alaska's public pension and welfare plans, in a suit against the State's former actuary, Mercer (US) Inc., claiming that Mercer's malpractice contributed at least $1.8 billion to Alaska's pension shortfall. Matter was settled favorably for $500 million.
- FIFA in litigation concerning concussions in youth soccer in which FIFA won a motion to dismiss the claims.
- Johnson & Johnson and Bank Hapoalim in litigations brought pursuant to the Anti-Terrorism Act.
- Canadian Natural Resources, Ltd. in a successful insurance coverage arbitration.
- in successful litigation with Terra Firma.
- in defense of a $2 billion claim brought by the Italian dairy company Parmalat. Citigroup defeated the claim and obtained judgment at trial on its counterclaim for $364 million, which was affirmed by the New Jersey Appellate Division.
- in litigation with Norwegian municipalities that invested in structured products in which Citigroup won a motion for summary judgment, affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- in connection with an anti-money laundering investigation by the Department of Justice in which the matter was settled on favorable terms.
- TV Azteca and its principals in various litigations with EchoStar, Mexican pop-star Gloria Trevi, and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
In addition, Daniel has an extensive pro bono practice, including representation (along with the Brady Center) of victims of gun violence against gun sellers and a victim of domestic violence in a Hague Convention case that was successfully litigated in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Daniel served as notes editor of the Washington University Law Quarterly. He was selected as one of the school's three Honors Scholars and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He was a 1997 and 1998 Paul, Weiss summer associate.