ProfessionalsEdward T. Ackerman
Edward (“Ted”) Ackerman is a partner in the Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. He focuses his practice on advising private equity and strategic clients on their M&A, carve-out, joint venture, equity financing, restructuring and general corporate transactions. Ted has extensive experience with transactions in a broad cross-section of industries, including consumer products, restaurant/beverage, manufacturing, logistics and IT/technology.
Some of Ted's recent transactions include the representation of:
- A-T Solutions, Inc., a provider of counterterrorism services, products, technology and training, in its acquisition by Pacific Architects and Engineers, Inc., a provider of support for essential global missions of the U.S. government.
- C. Dean Metropoulos in:
- the investment in Utz Quality Foods, LLC;
- the sale, alongside funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC, of Hostess Brands to Gores Holdings;
- the sale of Pabst Brewing Company to a consortium comprised of Oasis Beverages and TSG Consumer Partners;
- the acquisition of Pabst Brewing Company from the Kalmanovitz Charitable Foundation; and
- in connection with the $400 million initial public offering of Gores Metropoulos, Inc., a blank check company in partnership with Gores Group, LLC.
- CI Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including:
- its acquisition of AlliedPRA, a destination management company, from Core Capital Partners LLP;
- its acquisition of a majority interest in the practice management company for Epiphany Dermatology, a Texas-based operator of dermatology clinics, and its affiliates;
- its acquisition of Impact Sales, a sales and marketing agency that provides outsourced sales, marketing and merchandising services to consumer packaged goods manufacturers;
- its acquisition of a majority interest in Hero Digital, a digital consulting firm;
- its sale of KIK Custom Products, an independent manufacturer of consumer packaged goods, to affiliates of Centerbridge Partners;
- its sale of American Residential Services (ARS), a leading provider of air conditioning and plumbing services nationwide, to Charlesbank Capital Partners; and
- its acquisition of Pivot Physical Therapy (formerly PT Network), the owner and operator of a network of physical therapy centers.
- Clarion Capital Partners in numerous transactions, including its:
- $320 million sale of Moravia IT a.s. to RWS Holdings plc;
- acquisition of a majority interest in Moravia IT a.s., a Czech Republic-based provider of translation and localization services; and
- sale of Cross MediaWorks LLC, a leading provider of technology-enabled television advertising solutions, to Lee Equity Partners.
- Declaration Capital in its investment in aXiomatic, a California-based esports and video game startup.
- John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods in its sale of approximately 7,400 controlled lots and 280 homes in backlog to PulteGroup, Inc.
- KIK Custom Products Inc. in numerous transactions, including its:
- carve-out acquisition of the Consumer Products business of Chemtura Corporation; and
- partnership with The Clorox Company in connection with KIK's launch of pool & spa chemicals and accessories under the CloroxTM Pool&Spa brand in the U.S. and Canada.
- KPS Capital Partners in its:
- sale of WWRD Holdings Ltd., a luxury home and lifestyle products company, to Fiskars Corporation;
- sale of North American Breweries Holdings, LLC, one of the largest independently owned beer companies in the United States, to Cervecerίa Costa Rica, S.A.; and
- carve-out acquisition of the metals business of Olin Corporation (now known as Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: BRSS)).
- MHP Real Estate Services LLC, a New York-based boutique real estate investment, management and brokerage firm, in its joint venture with Banyan Street Capital, a Florida-based real estate investment and management firm, to form a privately held owner and operator of commercial real estate properties.
- Nutraceutical International Corporation, a Utah-based integrated manufacturer, marketer, distributor and retailer of branded nutritional supplements and other natural products, in its approximately $446 million sale to an affiliate of HGGC, LLC, a California-based private equity firm.
- Sagewind Capital LLC and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including:
- its acquisition of By Light Professional IT Services, a Virginia-based provider of IT, cloud, cyber and infrastructure solutions to the US Federal Government;
- its acquisition of Corfin Industries, a provider of defense electronics component preparation services for the aerospace and defense end-markets;
- its sale of Corfin Industries to Behrman Capital;
- its acquisition of The Athene Group, a software and services company serving the wealth management industry, alongside Berenson Holdings;
- By Light Professional IT Services, a portfolio company of Sagewind, in its acquisition of Axom Technologies;
- By Light Professional IT Services, a portfolio company of Sagewind, in its acquisition of Metova Federal;
- By Light IT Services LLC, a portfolio company of Sagewind, in its acquisition of Phacil; and
- GCOM Software, a New York-based business and technology consulting firm and a portfolio company of Sagewind, in its acquisition of Three Sigma Software.
- Simon Property Group, Inc., an Indiana-based retail real estate ownership, management and development company, as part of a consortium with General Growth Properties and Authentic Brands Group, in its acquisition of New York-based apparel and accessories brand, Aéropostale.
- Simon Property Group, Inc., joint venture partner in Aero OpCo LLC, the operating partner for Aéropostale, in connection with the acquisition of the Nautica brand by Authentic Brands Group, LLC from VF Corporation, for which Aero OpCo LLC was the core licensee and operating partner for Nautica.
- Smashburger Master LLC, a Denver-based leading "fast casual" restaurant brand, in its:
- sale of a 40 percent stake in the company to Jollibee Foods Corp., a Philippines-based restaurant chain, based on an enterprise value of the company of $335 million; and
- $100 million sale of a 45 percent stake in Smashburger to Jollibee Foods Corporation, bringing Jollibee’s stake to 85 percent.
Mr. Ackerman serves on the Board of Directors of GMHC. He was associate managing editor of the Brooklyn Law Review.