ProfessionalsEllen N. Ching
Ellen Ching is a partner in the Corporate Department, where she is a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions Group. She focuses her practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and other transactional matters. Ms. Ching has represented private equity funds and publicly traded and privately held companies across a broad array of industries including hospitality, healthcare, shipping and consumer products.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Ellen was recognized as a 2017 “Rising Star” by the New York Law Journal for her work in M&A, corporate restructuring and other transactional areas. Ellen has also been named to Private Fund Management’s “30 Under 40” list for her private equity work. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of Lawyers Alliance for New York.
Recent representations include advising:
- General Atlantic:
- in its investment in Creative Planning, a Kansas-based independent wealth management firm;
- in its investment in Comprehensive Educational Services (ACES), a California-based provider of behavioral analysis and ancillary services to individuals and families impacted by autism or other special needs;
- in its acquisition of a majority stake in Invoice Cloud, a Massachusetts-based Software as a Service provider of vertical software, billing and payments solutions;
- in its investment in Landmark Health, a California-based provider of in-home, risk-based medical care;
- in its investment in CareCore National, a leading provider of specialty benefits management services; in CareCore National's merger with MedSolutions, Inc., a Tennessee-based specialty healthcare benefits management company; and in eviCore healthcare's (fka CareCore National) $3.6 billion acquisition by Express Scripts Holding Company;
- and Silver Lake in their acquisition of A Place for Mom, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus;
- in its sale of its portfolio company, MedExpress, a West Virginia-based provider of high-quality, affordable walk-in care, to Optum, a Minnesota-based health services company and division of UnitedHealth Group; and
- in its investment in General Information Services, a South Carolina-based background check company.
- Oaktree Capital Management in its:
- sale of its portfolio company, IEA Energy Services LLC, an engineering, procurement and construction company in the renewable energy sector, to M III Acquisition Corp.;
- stock-for-stock sale of its portfolio companies, Oceanbulk Shipping LLC and Oceanbulk Carriers LLC, international dry bulk shipping companies, to Star Bulk Carriers Corp., a Greece-based dry bulk shipping company;
- sale of its portfolio company, Tekni-Plex, a global manufacturer of technically-sophisticated products and engineered components, to American Securities;
- $1 billion venture and restructuring with Bain Capital and The Related Companies to form International Market Centers, a network of premium home furnishings, gift and home decor showroom and exhibition space; and
- acquisition of control of Aleris International through a $2.7 billion restructuring pursuant to a Chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Roark Capital Group in its:
- sale of Quala, a Florida-based independent provider of tank trailer cleaning, ISO container depot services and IBC cleaning, testing and reconditioning services, to Advent International, a Massachusetts-based global private equity investor;
- acquisition of Great Expressions Dental Centers, a Michigan-based preventative dental care company; and
- definitive agreement to acquire a majority interest in Jimmy John's Sandwiches, an Illinois-based fast-casual restaurant brand.
- Centerbridge Partners in its sale, together with other selling shareholders, of a majority stake in Focus Financial Partners, a New York-based partnership of independent, fiduciary wealth management firms, to an investor group led by Stone Point Capital and KKR.
- Dan Doctoroff in connection with the acquisition by Intersection Holdings, a consortium of technology and civic leaders led by Dan Doctoroff and Sidewalk Labs, a recently launched partnership between Dan and Google, of Titan Outdoor Holdings and Control Group Ventures. Dan Doctoroff will be Intersection's chairman and interim CEO.
- Frédéric Fekkai, founder of Frédéric Fekkai Brands, in partnership with Cornell Capital LLC, a New York-based private investment firm, in their acquisition of Frédéric Fekkai Brands, a New York-based beauty and haircare brand, from a group of investors.
- Berkshire Partners, a Massachusetts-based investment firm, in its investment in Kendra Scott Design, Inc., a Texas-based fashion accessories brand.
- Movado Group, Inc., a New Jersey-based designer, manufacturer and distributor of watches, in its acquisition of MVMT Watches Inc., the owner of MVMT, a California-based lifestyle brand.
- Sidewalk Labs LLC, a New York-based application platform provider for addressing urban problems and an affiliate of Alphabet Inc., in its spin-off and merger of its infrastructure platform business with Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, a Canada-based pension fund, to form Sidewalk Infrastructure Partners.