ProfessionalsEllen N. Ching
Ellen Ching is a partner in the Corporate Department, where she is a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions Group. She focuses her practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and other transactional matters. Ellen has represented private equity funds and publicly traded and privately held companies across a broad array of industries including hospitality, healthcare, shipping and consumer products.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Ellen is recognized as a recommended practitioner in private equity buyouts by The Legal 500. She was also recognized as a 2017 “Rising Star” by the New York Law Journal for her work in M&A, corporate restructuring and other transactional areas. Ellen has also been named to Private Fund Management’s “30 Under 40” list for her private equity work. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of Lawyers Alliance for New York.
Recent representations include advising:
- General Atlantic:
- in its investment in Doctor On Demand, a California-based virtual care provider;
- in its investment in Creative Planning, a Kansas-based independent wealth management firm;
- in its investment in Comprehensive Educational Services (ACES), a California-based provider of behavioral analysis and ancillary services to individuals and families impacted by autism or other special needs;
- in the strategic partnership of its portfolio company Marathon Health, a Vermont-based provider of employer health centers with OurHealth, an Indiana-based a provider of employer-sponsored healthcare;
- in its acquisition of a majority stake in Invoice Cloud, a Massachusetts-based Software as a Service provider of vertical software, billing and payments solutions;
- in its investment in Landmark Health, a California-based provider of in-home, risk-based medical care;
- in its investment in CareCore National, a leading provider of specialty benefits management services; in CareCore National’s merger with MedSolutions, Inc., a Tennessee-based specialty healthcare benefits management company; and in eviCore healthcare’s (fka CareCore National) $3.6 billion acquisition by Express Scripts Holding Company;
- and Silver Lake in their acquisition of A Place for Mom, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus;
- in its sale of its portfolio company, MedExpress, a West Virginia-based provider of high-quality, affordable walk-in care, to Optum, a Minnesota-based health services company and division of UnitedHealth Group; and
- in its investment in General Information Services, a South Carolina-based background check company.
- Oaktree Capital Management in its:
- sale of its portfolio company, IEA Energy Services, an engineering, procurement and construction company in the renewable energy sector, to M III Acquisition Corp.;
- stock-for-stock sale of its portfolio companies, Oceanbulk Shipping and Oceanbulk Carriers, international dry bulk shipping companies, to Star Bulk Carriers, a Greece-based dry bulk shipping company;
- sale of its portfolio company, Tekni-Plex, a global manufacturer of technically-sophisticated products and engineered components, to American Securities;
- $1 billion venture and restructuring with Bain Capital and The Related Companies to form International Market Centers, a network of premium home furnishings, gift and home decor showroom and exhibition space; and
- acquisition of control of Aleris International through a $2.7 billion restructuring pursuant to a Chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Funds managed by Ares Management in their investment, alongside Providence Equity Partners, of $400 million total in OUTFRONT Media, a New York-based outdoor advertising company.
- Berkshire Partners:
- in its acquisition of FoodChain ID, an Illinois-based food-safety and food-quality products and services business, from Paine Schwartz Partners; and
- in its investment in Kendra Scott Design, a Texas-based fashion accessories brand.
- Centerbridge Partners in its sale, together with other selling shareholders, of a majority stake in Focus Financial Partners, a New York-based partnership of independent, fiduciary wealth management firms, to an investor group led by Stone Point Capital and KKR.
- Roark Capital Group in its:
- sale of Quala, a Florida-based independent provider of tank trailer cleaning, ISO container depot services and IBC cleaning, testing and reconditioning services, to Advent International, a Massachusetts-based global private equity investor;
- acquisition of Great Expressions Dental Centers, a Michigan-based preventative dental care company; and
- definitive agreement to acquire a majority interest in Jimmy John's Sandwiches, an Illinois-based fast-casual restaurant brand.
- Dan Doctoroff in connection with the acquisition by Intersection Holdings, a consortium of technology and civic leaders led by Dan Doctoroff and Sidewalk Labs, a recently launched partnership between Dan and Google, of Titan Outdoor Holdings and Control Group Ventures. Dan Doctoroff will be Intersection’s chairman and interim CEO.
- Endemol Shine Group, a Netherlands-based production company and a portfolio company of funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc., in its sale to Banijay Group, a France-based production company.
- Frédéric Fekkai, founder of Frédéric Fekkai Brands, in partnership with Cornell Capital, a New York-based private investment firm, in their acquisition of Frédéric Fekkai Brands, a New York-based beauty and haircare brand, from a group of investors.
- Movado Group, a New Jersey-based designer, manufacturer and distributor of watches, in its acquisition of MVMT Watches, the owner of MVMT, a California-based lifestyle brand.
- Sidewalk Labs, a New York-based application platform provider for addressing urban problems and an affiliate of Alphabet Inc., in its spin-off and merger of its infrastructure platform business with Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, a Canada-based pension fund, to form Sidewalk Infrastructure Partners.