ProfessionalsHarris B. Freidus
Chair of the Real Estate Department, Harris Freidus advises public and private companies, developers, entrepreneurial and institutional investors and lenders in all areas of commercial real estate, including developments, financings, joint ventures, sales and acquisitions, construction, leasing and restructurings. His expertise covers all real estate asset classes, with a special emphasis on gaming and hospitality.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
In 2020, Harris was again named a “Real Estate MVP” by Law360, a recognition he previously earned in 2019, 2017 and 2015. He has been recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and Expert Guides as one of the country’s leading Real Estate lawyers, has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Law (New York City) since 2011, and is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. He is involved with numerous charitable organizations including serving as pro bono counsel for The Blue School, an innovative school for young children led by the founders of The Blue Man Group.
Harris' recent experience includes:
- representing Las Vegas Sands Corp., the owner of The Venetian and Palazzo gaming resorts in Las Vegas, The Sands Macau and Venetian Macau in Macau, and Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, with all of its financings, developments, sales, joint ventures and other material transactions in the United States, Macau and Singapore since 1995;
- representing Healthpeak Properties, Inc., (formerly HCP, Inc.) an S&P 500 healthcare REIT, in a variety of acquisitions, joint ventures and financings (as lender) covering hundreds of healthcare facilities throughout the United States;
- representing CIM Group, a sponsor of real estate funds that specializes in urban investments, in a variety of New York City acquisitions, joint ventures, and developments including 432 Park Avenue, 303 East 51st Street, and 140 West Street;
- representing NorthStar Realty Finance Corp., a New York-based diversified commercial real estate company, in various healthcare portfolio acquisitions, joint ventures and financings, including its $4.2 billion acquisition of the outstanding shares of NYSE-traded Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II;
- acting as primary counsel to the joint venture that owns the iconic Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel, and representing it in the successful out-of-court restructuring of over $800 million in debt and other secured claims and in several subsequent refinancings with senior and mezzanine components;
- assisting Douglaston Development in the development and financing of various multi-family and residential condominium developments in New York City, including The Edge, a mixed-use project consisting of 347 moderate-income rental apartments, 1,100 luxury condominium units, 60,000 square feet of retail space and parking garage space for over 600 cars on the Williamsburg waterfront; and
- representing various developers and funds and other institutions in the acquisition, development and financing of various properties.