A partner in the Litigation Department, Harris Fischman is a former federal prosecutor who focuses his practice on regulatory enforcement proceedings, internal investigations, criminal defense and trial work. An experienced trial and appellate lawyer, Harris handles all stages of civil and criminal investigations and proceedings.
Harris previously served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, where he was Chief of the Violent and Organized Crime Unit and Deputy Chief of the Narcotics Unit. During his six years there, he led the investigation and prosecution of a wide range of federal crimes, including financial fraud, money laundering, public corruption, asset forfeiture, racketeering and murder. An accomplished trial lawyer, Harris has successfully conducted 15 criminal and civil trials. As a prosecutor, Harris also supervised more than 30 criminal trials.
Harris has represented various companies in:
- SEC investigations, including investigations into alleged accounting and disclosure fraud, insider trading, supervisory failures and various controls issues;
- criminal investigations by state and federal authorities, including investigations into alleged insider trading and fraud;
- criminal and civil FCPA investigations by the SEC and the DOJ; and
- complex civil litigation, including most recently as trial counsel for MacAndrews and Forbes and Mitsubishi Corporation.
Harris also regularly represents:
- individuals in regulatory and criminal investigations, including several investigations into alleged insider trading; and
- boards in various matters, including internal investigations and corporate governance issues.
Harris is a frequent speaker on various issues related to regulatory enforcement proceedings and criminal law. He recently taught a seminar on federal prosecution at NYU School of Law. Harris also served as a law clerk at the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, where he worked on the prosecution of Slobodan Milosevic, the former president of Yugoslavia, for attempted genocide and other war crimes.