ProfessionalsJacqueline P. Rubin
A partner in the Litigation Department, Jacqui handles a broad variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including antitrust disputes, direct and indirect purchaser class actions, insurance and securities arbitrations, regulatory investigations and complex contract matters.
Jacqui’s recent significant media and antitrust representations include:
- The Nielsen Company, the leading provider of television ratings in the United States, in a contract dispute with a competitor.
- Charter Communications, in a case brought by Fox News arising out of the Time Warner Cable transaction.
- Time Warner Cable in several antitrust and other related matters, including in the successful resolution of the Justice Department’s Second Request investigation of its proposed $78 billion acquisition by Charter Communications as well as in the prior abandoned proposal by Comcast Corporation to acquire it for $45 billion.
- Becton Dickinson in antitrust and false advertising litigation, including competitor cases and purchaser class actions alleging monopolization, exclusive dealing and bundled discounts.
- Giorgi Mushroom Co. and Giorgio Foods in a multi-defendant class action alleging violations of the Capper-Volstead Act.
Jacqui’s recent significant commercial litigation representations include:
- A large independent crude oil and natural gas producer and its insurer in a victory before an international arbitration panel regarding a dispute arising out of damages suffered at an off-shore oil platform in the North Sea. The panel rejected the reinsurer’s defenses, finding that our clients were entitled to complete coverage under the policy.
- Salomon Smith Barney in a victory before an AAA arbitration panel regarding claims brought by a former client.
- Law firms and lawyers in defending against all allegations of legal malpractice and negligence in regulatory proceedings and civil litigations.
- A semiconductor company in defense of class action and derivative lawsuits, and in related internal and SEC investigations regarding various accounting issues.
- The Audit and Finance Committee of Adecco S.A., the world’s largest provider of temporary employees, in a worldwide investigation of various accounting issues.
- IBM in litigation to prevent former company executives from violating their non-compete agreements.
- A medical device manufacturer in securing a de minimis resolution for False Claims Act litigation regarding alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Act.
Jacqui’s recent significant bankruptcy and restructuring representations include:
- Noranda Aluminum Holding Corp., a leading U.S. producer of primary aluminum foil products, and its wholly owned subsidiaries in chapter 11 cases in the Eastern District of Missouri.
- An indenture trustee and certain noteholders of Algeco Scotsman Global Finance plc in challenging a restructuring transaction proposed by the company.
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Quicksilver Resources Inc., a Texas-based oil and gas exploration and production company.
- The ad hoc committee of HoldCo noteholders of Ultra Petroleum Corp. and its affiliated debtors, which include oil and gas exploration and production companies, in chapter 11 cases.
- Several other bondholder and creditor committees as well as individual clients in numerous contested restructuring matters.
Jacqui maintains a significant pro bono practice and is active in the community. Most recently, she has handled several cases and appeals on behalf of unaccompanied children seeking to secure lawful permanent residence in the United States. Jacqui is also a member of the Board of Directors of MFJ Legal Services.
Jacqui is co-chair of the firm’s Professional Responsibility Committee. She was recently recognized by Law360 as one of four “Rising Stars” in the health industry for her work for pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing companies. She was also recognized by The Legal 500 US (2016-2017) as a leading lawyer in Antitrust.