ProfessionalsJacqueline P. Rubin
A partner in the Litigation Department and co-chair of the firm’s Professional Responsibility Committee, Jacqui handles a broad range of complex commercial litigation matters, including a wide variety of antitrust litigations and class actions, insurance and securities arbitrations, regulatory and internal investigations, bankruptcy litigation and other complex business disputes.
Jacqui’s recent significant media and antitrust representations include:
- The Nielsen Company, the leading provider of television ratings in the United States, in a dispute with a competitor arising out of the FTC order in connection with its merger with Arbitron.
- Charter Communications, in a case brought by Fox News arising out of the Time Warner Cable transaction.
- Time Warner Cable in several antitrust and other related matters, including in the successful resolution of the Justice Department’s Second Request investigation of its proposed $78 billion acquisition by Charter Communications as well as in the prior abandoned proposal by Comcast Corporation to acquire it for $45 billion.
- Becton Dickinson in antitrust and false advertising litigation, including competitor cases and purchaser class actions alleging monopolization, exclusive dealing and bundled discounts.
- Giorgi Mushroom Co. and Giorgio Foods in a multi-defendant class action and individual actions alleging price fixing in the market for mushrooms.
Jacqui’s recent significant commercial litigation representations include:
- A large independent crude oil and natural gas producer and its insurer in a victory before an international arbitration panel regarding a dispute arising out of damages suffered at an off-shore oil platform in the North Sea. The panel rejected the reinsurer’s defenses, finding that our clients were entitled to complete coverage under the policy.
- Salomon Smith Barney in a victory before an AAA arbitration panel regarding claims brought by a former client.
- Law firms and lawyers in defending against all allegations of legal malpractice and negligence in regulatory proceedings and civil litigations.
- A semiconductor company in defense of class action and derivative lawsuits, and in related internal and SEC investigations regarding various accounting issues.
- IBM in unfair competition litigation related to non-compete agreements.
- A medical device manufacturer in securing a de minimis resolution for False Claims Act litigation regarding alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Act.
Jacqui is co-chair of the Bankruptcy Litigation Group; her recent significant bankruptcy and restructuring representations include:
- The First Lien lender of LBI Media Inc., a U.S.-based Spanish-language broadcaster, in a chapter 11 case in Delaware bankruptcy court.
- An ad hoc committee of cross-holders of PetSmart’s indebtedness.
- Noranda Aluminum Holding Corp., a leading U.S. producer of primary aluminum foil products, and its wholly owned subsidiaries in chapter 11 cases in the Eastern District of Missouri.
- An indenture trustee and certain noteholders of Algeco Scotsman Global Finance plc in challenging a restructuring transaction proposed by the company.
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Quicksilver Resources Inc., a Texas-based oil and gas exploration and production company.
- The ad hoc committee of HoldCo noteholders of Ultra Petroleum Corp. and its affiliated debtors, which include oil and gas exploration and production companies, in chapter 11 cases.
- Several other bondholder and creditor committees as well as individual clients in numerous contested restructuring matters.
Jacqui maintains a significant pro bono practice and is active in the community. Recently, she handled several cases and appeals on behalf of unaccompanied children seeking to secure lawful permanent residence in the United States. Jacqui is also a member of the Board of Directors of Mobilization for Justice, which offers free legal help to low-income New Yorkers.
Jacqui co-chairs the firm’s Professional Responsibility Committee. She was recently recognized by Law360 as one of four “Rising Stars” nationally in the health industry for her work on behalf of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing companies. She was also recognized by The Legal 500 US (2016-2017) as a leading lawyer in the antitrust area.