ProfessionalsJeffrey D. Marell
A partner in the Corporate Department, Jeff is the Global Co-Head of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice, a member of the Private Equity Group and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Jeff is a nationally recognized transactional lawyer who focuses on a range of corporate matters. He has extensive experience representing strategic and private equity clients in the full spectrum of public and private merger and acquisition transactions, including negotiated and contested acquisitions and divestitures, minority investments and carve-out transactions. Jeff’s public company experience also includes numerous activist defense matters and special committee assignments.
Jeff’s notable transactions include representing:
- Air Methods in its sale to affiliates of American Securities
- ARIAD Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Takeda Pharmaceutical Co.
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of a significant minority interest in Kendra Scott Design; its acquisition of FoodChain ID from Paine Schwartz Partners; its acquisition of a majority stake in Harvey Performance Company from Summit Partners; and its investment in Mielle Organics
- Bioverativ in its sale to Sanofi
- Catalent in the sale of its Blow-Fill-Seal (BFS) Sterile Contract Development and Manufacturing Business to SK Capital Partners
- Cigna in its acquisition of Brighter
- CSRA in its sale to General Dynamics
- The special committee of the board of directors of Empire Resorts in its sale to Kien Huat Realty III and Genting Malaysia Berhad
- Encana (now known as Ovintiv) in its acquisition of Newfield Exploration Company
- IG Group Holdings in its acquisition of tastytrade
- The special committee of independent directors of the board of directors of Independence Holding Company in the sale of Independence Holding to Geneve Holdings
- Inspire Brands, a Roark Capital Group portfolio company, in its acquisition of Dunkin’ Brands Group, the parent company of Dunkin’ and Baskin-Robbins; and in its acquisition of a majority interest in Jimmy John’s Sandwiches
- JACK Entertainment in the sale of various regional gaming assets in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit and Kentucky
- Kraft Heinz in the sale of its natural, grated, cultured and specialty cheese businesses to Groupe Lactalis
- Luxury Retreats in its sale to Airbnb
- Magnachip Semiconductor Corporation in its sale to investment vehicles established by Wise Road Capital and certain of its limited partners
- The Medicines Company in its sale to Novartis
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in its sale to Amazon
- National General Holdings in its sale to The Allstate Corporation
- The special committee of the board of directors of QAD in its sale to Thoma Bravo
- Roark Capital Group in its acquisitions of Fitness Connection, Great Expressions Dental Centers, Mathnasium and the ServiceMaster Brands businesses of ServiceMaster Global Holdings; and its investments in The Cheesecake Factory, Divisions Maintenance Group and US Sports Camps; Driven Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of International Car Wash Group; Focus Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of Jamba Juice; and ServiceMaster Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK/International
- Spectrum Brands Holdings in the sale of its Global Auto Care business to Energizer Holdings, and in the separate acquisitions of Procter & Gamble’s European Pet Food business, Stanley Black & Decker’s Hardware & Home Improvement Group, and Tell Manufacturing
- Numerous SPAC clients and targets in a variety of transactions, including: Bowlero Corp in its combination with Isos Acquisition Corporation; Mosaic Acquisition Corp. in its merger with Vivint Smart Home; North Mountain Merger Corp. in its business combination with Corcentric to form a publicly listed entity; Reservoir Holdings in its combination with Roth CH Acquisition II; South Mountain Merger Corporation in its combination with Billtrust to form a publicly listed entity; SVF Investment Corp. 3, sponsored by an affiliate of SoftBank Investment Advisers, in its merger with Symbotic to form a publicly listed entity; and Trine Acquisition Corp. in its combination with Desktop Metal
- Top U.S. homebuilders Crescent Communities, Dominion Homes, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods, Oakwood Homes, Orleans Homebuilders, PulteGroup, Stanley-Martin Communities and UCP in various M&A transactions
Jeff’s work has earned him recognition as a leading M&A lawyer in the United States by Chambers and The Legal 500. In 2021, The American Lawyer named Jeff “Dealmaker of The Year” for his role advising Inspire Brands in its acquisition of Dunkin’ Donuts. Jeff was also featured in Variety's 2021 Dealmakers Impact Report as a "Top Negotiator Behind Mega Deals" for his role advising Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in its sale to Amazon.
Jeff was a member of the George Washington Law Review.