ProfessionalsJeffrey D. Marell
A partner in the Corporate Department, Jeff is the Global Co-Head of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice, a member of the Private Equity Group and a former member of the firm’s Management Committee. Jeff is a nationally recognized transactional lawyer who focuses on a range of corporate matters. He has extensive experience representing strategic and private equity clients in the full spectrum of public and private merger and acquisition transactions, including negotiated and contested acquisitions and divestitures, minority investments and carve-out transactions. Jeff’s public company experience also includes numerous activist defense matters and special committee assignments.
Jeff’s notable transactions include representing:
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of FoodChain ID from Paine Schwartz Partners; its acquisition of a majority stake in Harvey Performance Company from Summit Partners; and its investment in Mielle Organics
- Bioverativ in its sale to Sanofi
- Catalent in the sale of its Blow-Fill-Seal (BFS) Sterile Contract Development and Manufacturing Business to SK Capital Partners
- CSRA in its sale to General Dynamics
- Hemisphere Media Group in its acquisition of the remaining 75% stake in Pantaya from Lionsgate; and in its take-private sale to a subsidiary of Gato Investments, a portfolio investment of Searchlight Capital Partners, including the company's sale of Pantaya to TelevisaUnivision
- IG Group Holdings in its acquisition of tastytrade
- The special committee of independent directors of the board of directors of Independence Holding Company in the sale of Independence Holding to Geneve Holdings
- Inspire Brands, a Roark Capital Group portfolio company, in its acquisition of Dunkin’ Brands Group, the parent company of Dunkin’ and Baskin-Robbins; and in its acquisition of a majority interest in Jimmy John’s Sandwiches
- JACK Entertainment in the sale of various regional gaming assets in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit and Kentucky
- Kraft Heinz in the sale of its natural, grated, cultured and specialty cheese businesses to Groupe Lactalis
- Magnachip Semiconductor Corporation in its sale to investment vehicles established by Wise Road Capital and certain of its limited partners (terminated)
- The Medicines Company in its sale to Novartis
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in its sale to Amazon
- National General Holdings in its sale to The Allstate Corporation
- The board of directors of New York City REIT in its successful proxy contest against Comrit Investments 1
- The special committee of the board of directors of QAD in its sale to Thoma Bravo
- Roark Capital Group in numerous transactions, including:
- its acquisitions of Fitness Connection, Great Expressions Dental Centers, Mathnasium and the ServiceMaster Brands businesses of ServiceMaster Global Holdings;
- its investments in The Cheesecake Factory, Divisions Maintenance Group and US Sports Camps; and
- its sale of Solterra Recycling Solutions to Interstate Waste Services;
- Driven Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of International Car Wash Group;
- Focus Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of Jamba Juice; and
- ServiceMaster Brands, a Roark portfolio company, in its acquisition of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK/International
- Top U.S. homebuilders Chesmar Group, Crescent Communities, Dominion Homes, The Holt Group, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods, Oakwood Homes, Orleans Homebuilders, PulteGroup, Stanley-Martin Communities and UCP in various M&A transactions
Jeff’s work has earned him recognition as a leading M&A lawyer in the United States by Chambers and The Legal 500. In 2022, Jeff was featured as one of Lawdragon’s “500 Leading Dealmakers in America” and in 2021, The American Lawyer named Jeff “Dealmaker of The Year” for his role advising Inspire Brands in its acquisition of Dunkin’ Donuts. Jeff was also featured in Variety's 2021 Dealmakers Impact Report as a "Top Negotiator Behind Mega Deals" for his role advising Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in its sale to Amazon.
In 2022, Jeff published an article titled, “Dealmaking in Uncertain Times: Strategies for Success,” in NACD BoardTalk, the official blog of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Jeff was a member of the George Washington Law Review.