ProfessionalsJudie Ng Shortell
A partner in the Corporate Department, based in the firm’s office in Beijing, Judie’s practice focuses on China-related private equity investments and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. She also has particular experience in the TMT sector.
Judie’s recent significant transactions include advising:
- in its investments in various businesses in China, including Xingsheng Preference Electronic, a Chinese food supply and delivery e-commerce company, Spark Education, a leading Chinese online education platform, Shenzhen Suishou Technology, a China-based personal finance management platform, Gambol Pet Group, a China-based provider of high-quality pet food;
- in its US$794 million buy-out of NVC Lighting, a leading China-based provider of lighting products and solutions, and formation of a joint venture with NVC International;
- in a US$175 million investment in Voyager Innovations, the financial technology arm of PLDT Inc., a Philippines-based telecommunications and digital services provider;
- in the buy-out transaction and launch of Cue & Co., a one-stop digital marketing company for the Chinese market, bringing together four industry leaders, Qi-xin, AnG, WIN and Wina Tech to create a multi-brand company with wide-ranging digital marketing capabilities;
- General Atlantic:
- as lead member of an investor consortium with Warburg Pincus and Ocean Link, in the acquisition of 58.com, China’s largest online classifieds marketplace, for an equity value of US$8.7 billion;
- in its investment in Bytedance, a leading Chinese technology driven online media platform;
- in its investments in various China-based businesses, including Judydoll, a leading cosmetic brand; Adagene, Inc., a China-based clinical-stage oncology immunotherapy company, Ocumension Limited, a clinical-stage biotechnology company, Hutchison China MediTech, an integrated biopharmaceutical company in China focused on innovative oncology therapies, Ding Dong, a leading Chinese fresh food e-commerce platform, NetEase Cloud Music, a leading online music streaming platform in China, Ximalaya, one of the largest on-demand audio streaming platforms in China, MyDreamPlus, a China-based co-working platform and Today Inc, a leading Chinese convenience store brand;
- State Grid:
- in its US$3.04 billion acquisition of Compania General de Electricidad S.A. from Naturgy Energy;
- in its US$2.23 billion acquisition of Chilquinta Energía S.A. from Sempra Energy;
- in its approximately A$5 billion simultaneous acquisitions of 19.9% of the stapled securities in SP Ausnet and 60% interest in SPI (Australia);
- in its approximately A$500 million acquisition of 45.56% interest in ElectraNet;
- DiDi Chuxing:
- in the US$1.2 billion spin-off of and fundraising by its bike-sharing business;
- in a 14.8% investment stake in Cango Inc., a China-based automotive e-commerce platform;
- as the lead investor in a US$2 billion financing round of investment in Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading ride-hailing company and the subsequent acquisition by Grab of Uber’s Southeast Asian operations;
- in a 18.5% investment stake in Pinduoduo, a China-based e-commerce mobile application and platform;
- in its investment in KE Holdings, a leading Chinese online property platform;
- in its investment in Zhuan Zhuan, a China-based used goods trading platform operated by 58.com;
- On Mengniu Dairy’s HK$12.6 billion general offers for Yashili International, a leading PRC dairy company;
- On China Mobile’s US$880 million subscription of shares in True Corporation;
- The liquidators of Lehman Brothers in the unwinding of investments in China;
- Citi in the acquisition by a Citi-led consortium of a US$3.06 billion 85.6% stake in Guangdong Development Bank;
- Judie has also represented numerous private equity and sovereign wealth funds clients in various transactions, including TPG, Morgan Stanley PE Asia, Boyu Capital, Hony Capital, Standard Chartered PE, InfraRed Capital Partners;
- Judie has also completed numerous transactions for private equity investors in the real estate sector, including investments into and joint ventures with major Chinese real estate developers, Gemdale, Longfor, Fosun, Evergrande, Moma, etc.
Judie is recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A in China, who is trusted by clients because “she’s responsive and meets our needs despite the fact that we're pretty demanding.” She is also recognized by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer for projects and energy, corporate and M&A, private equity in China, and Hong Kong/China-related inbound and outbound investments and by IFLR1000 as Highly Regarded in Private Equity and M&A in China. Judie was named as one of 2017’s Top 15 Female Lawyers in China by Asian Legal Business, a Thomson Reuters publication. She was recently named as one of six “Commended External Counsel of the Year, 2018” by In-House Community for China. In addition, Judie was nominated as a finalist for Dealmaker of the Year - International by Asian Legal Business China Law Awards in 2018.
Judie is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. She is admitted to practice law in Hong Kong.