ProfessionalsKaye N. Yoshino
A resident partner in the firm's Tokyo office, Kaye Naoko Yoshino has assisted Japanese and non-Japanese companies in a wide range of matters, from advising on cross-border corporate transactions to providing support in connection with U.S. regulatory and civil litigation matters and internal investigations.
Representative regulatory and internal investigations matters include:
- Representation of a multi-national company in an international corruption investigation;
- Representation of an executive in a criminal price-fixing investigation;
- Representation of a significant Japanese financial institution in U.S. regulatory proceedings;
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in an off-label marketing investigation and related whistleblower litigation; and
- Representation of U.S. and Japanese companies in internal investigations involving allegations of violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, price-fixing and other alleged misconduct.
Representative corporate matters include:
- Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Co., Ltd. (ADI)’s acquisition of Royal State Financial Corporation and ADI’s concurrent acquisition of the minority interests of DTRIC Insurance Company, Ltd.;
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.’s $1.2 billion acquisition of Alliance Tire Group, a global manufacturer and seller of off highway tires for agriculture, construction and forestry machinery;
- Oaktree Capital Management's $1.3 billion sale of its aircraft leasing company, Jackson Square Aviation, to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease and Finance Co., Ltd.;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co. Ltd. (MSI)'s acquisition of 26 percent of Max New York Life Insurance Company, a leading life insurance company, for Rs 27.3 billion (approximately $530 million);
- Janus Capital Group Inc.'s strategic alliance with The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited, the third-largest life insurer in Japan;
- Citigroup's acquisition of Nikko Cordial for $14 billion;
- Citigroup's disposition of the retail brokerage business of Nikko Cordial for $7.9 billion to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation;
- Citigroup's sale of NikkoCiti Trust and Banking Corporation to Nomura Trust and Banking Co., Ltd; and
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd.'s acquisition of Sepracor Inc., a Nasdaq-listed pharmaceutical company, for $2.6 billion.
Having been raised in both Japan and the U.S., Kaye is bilingual and at home in both cultures. She is registered as a gaikokuho jimu bengoshi in Japan.