ProfessionalsKelley D. Parker
Of counsel in the Corporate Department, retired partner Kelley Parker concentrated primarily on mergers and acquisitions. She was also a member of the Media, Sports and Entertainment and Corporate Governance Groups, and had a broad transactional practice focusing on a range of corporate matters.
Her experience includes:
- Advising EXOR S.p.A. in its successful unsolicited takeover bid for PartnerRe Ltd. for $6.9 billion;
- Advising Time Warner in its $17.6 billion acquisition of Adelphia Communications Corporation and the related split-up with Comcast Corporation;
- Representing Time Warner in its restructuring of its $9 billion cable partnership with the Newhouse publishing family;
- Representing Time Warner in the restructuring of a $9 billion regional cable partnership with AT&T and later Comcast;
- Representing the committee of noteholders of Tidewater Inc., a leading provider of offshore service vessels in the global energy industry, in connection with restructuring of the company’s approximately $2.04 billion of debt pursuant to a prepackaged chapter 11 plan;
- Representing publisher Hollinger International in its cross-border battle for control of the sale of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Daily Telegraph after self-dealing allegations surfaced against Conrad Black, the former Chairman and CEO;
- Representing the controlling shareholder and CEO of broadcaster Emmis Communications in his bid to take the company private;
- Representing the Estate of Jack Kent Cooke in the sale of the Washington Redskins NFL franchise and stadium for $800 million;
- Advising the CEO of Emmis Communications in a bid for the Washington Nationals MLB franchise;
- Advising a private equity fund manager in his bid for the Chicago Cubs MLB franchise;
- Advising the MLB in connection with the announced sale of the Texas Rangers by Tom Hicks and affiliates to a group headed by Nolan Ryan for more than $500 million; and
- Representing Emmis Communications in its sale of two large-market radio stations to a group led by the former CEO of Tribune with financial backing by GTCR.
Other recent experience includes:
- Representing Reckitt Benckiser Group plc in its $1.4 billion acquisition of Schiff Nutrition following Bayer Healthcare's bid for Schiff and an unsolicited competing tender offer by Reckitt Benckiser;
- Representing Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of Apollo in a transaction valued at $798 million, following a public bidding contest between affiliates of Apollo and KSL Capital Partners;
- Representing Fifth and Pacific in the sale of Juicy Couture, Liz Claiborne, Monet, Dana Buchman, Kensie and Mac & Jack brands;
- Representing Harbinger Group, Inc. in its sale of $400 million of preferred equity to an affiliate of Fortress;
- Representing the selling shareholders of privately held Marchon Eyewear in sale to Vision Services Plan for $735 million;
- Representing the special committee of the board of directors of The BISYS Group, Inc. in the sale of the financial services company to Citigroup for $1.45 billion;
- Representing Banque Populaire Group and Caisse d'Epargne Group in the restructuring of bond insurer CIFG Holding, Ltd.; and
- Representing the publicly traded Interstate Hotel & Resorts, Inc. in its sale to a joint venture between Thayer Lodging and Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels in a transaction valued at approximately $307 million.
She is a frequent speaker on M&A topics, including recent PLI Seminars M&A Trends & Developments and Doing Deals: The Art of M&A Transactional Practice.
Kelley was a member of The Georgetown Law Journal and was elected to the Order of the Coif.