ProfessionalsKyle J. Kimpler
Kyle Kimpler is a partner in the firm’s Restructuring Department. He has broad experience advising clients in complex restructuring and bankruptcy cases, including secured creditors, ad hoc creditor committees, distressed investment funds, claim purchasers, and equity sponsors. Kyle has particular expertise in bankruptcy-related litigation and insolvency issues involving structured finance and derivative transactions.
Kyle’s recent representative matters include:
- The County of Westchester in connection with the chapter 11 case of Standard Amusements, LLC, the would-be operator of the Playland amusement park;
- An ad hoc group led by The Baupost Group, L.L.C. in acquiring more than $7.5 billion in claims against Westinghouse Electric Company LLC and its affiliates and subsequently negotiating the Westinghouse plan that centered on a $4 billion asset sale. Pursuant to the Plan, the ad hoc group took ownership of W Wind Down Co., the entity responsible for resolving all claims in the Westinghouse chapter 11 cases;
- General Motors LLC, the purchaser of substantially all of the assets of General Motors Corp (now known as Motors Liquidation Company) (“Old GM”), in litigation in the bankruptcy court related to a proposed settlement between a trust representing Old GM and plaintiffs asserting personal injury and economic loss claims arising from ignition switch and other alleged defects in vehicles manufactured by Old GM that were recalled in 2014;
- Expro Holdings, a leading provider of well flow management services to the oil and gas industry, in its prepackaged chapter 11 case;
- The ad hoc group of Puerto Rico General Obligation Bondholders in restructuring the $18 billion of Constitutional debt issued or guaranteed by the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico;
- Citigroup and its affiliates worldwide in connection with prosecuting and defending claims arising from Lehman’s collapse;
- The second lien agent in the chapter 11 case and related fraudulent transfer litigation concerning Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation, an oil and natural gas exploration and production company;
- The ad hoc committee of first and second lien secured creditors in the prepackaged chapter 11 case of Allen Systems Group, Inc., a provider of information technology management software solutions;
- The Citco Group of Companies in bankruptcy-related litigation and cross-border insolvencies arising out of the collapse of the Fletcher Funds;
- An informal committee of certain holders of secured and unsecured notes of Chassix Holdings, Inc., in connection with Chassix’s restructuring through a prearranged chapter 11 case;
- Oak Hill Capital Partners in the restructuring and chapter 11 case of Southern Air Holdings, a leading air cargo carrier;
- Silver Point Capital, as prepetition and postpetition agent for lenders to Hostess Brands; and
- An ad hoc group of trade creditors in the chapter 11 case of Spansion Inc.
Kyle is recognized by The Legal 500 as a “Next Generation” lawyer in restructuring, and as a notable practitioner in structured finance: derivatives.