ProfessionalsLiza M. Velazquez
A partner in the Litigation Department, Liza Velazquez has extensive experience representing corporate clients, banks and other financial institutions, media and entertainment companies, and non-profit institutions in a broad range of litigation and regulatory matters, specializing in complex commercial matters as well as employment litigation and advising.
Liza has represented clients before state and federal courts across the country as well as in arbitrations and before federal and state regulatory authorities. Liza also has extensive experience handling sensitive workplace investigations on behalf of public companies, financial institutions, private equity funds, non-profit institutions and their executives and principals.
Liza’s diverse client list includes Barnes & Noble, Citigroup, Columbia University, Home Depot, Hudson’s Bay Company, IBM, ING, JPMorgan Chase, Mastercard, NBCUniversal, Prudential Insurance and 21st Century Fox. Significant trial and major case representations include:
- Citigroup's brokerage unit, Smith Barney, in a Title VII nationwide employment discrimination class action;
- Citigroup in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy proceedings and trial;
- NBCUniversal in employment class action litigation involving the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA);
- Prudential Insurance in a litigation challenging the prior settlement of hundreds of employment discrimination claims;
- Columbia University in a variety of matters, including a lawsuit brought by a student alleging gender discrimination and sexual harassment under Title IX and municipal law;
- 21st Century Fox in employment-related matters involving gender discrimination, sexual harassment and hostile work environment claims;
- IBM in matters related to enforcement of employment non-competition agreements;
- ING in litigations arising out of ING’s $1.5 billion sale of certain Mexican subsidiaries and the investment of a client account during the subprime crisis;
- A trial victory in Colorado state court for a national bank in a lawsuit concerning the conduct of an independent mortgage foreclosure review; and
- The successful trial of a landmark human rights case brought under the Alien Tort Statute.
Liza is a member of the Board of Advisors of Human Rights First and the Secretary of the Board of Legal Services NYC. She has contributed to two reports by the Association of the Bar of the City of New York on human rights standards applicable to the treatment of detainees post-9/11. She has also successfully represented numerous asylum clients. Liza is a member of the Board of the Fund for Modern Courts as well as the Practical Law Litigation Advisory Board.
Liza writes and speaks frequently on employment law issues and was recently recognized in the 2019 edition of Benchmark Litigation as a “Labor & Employment Star – Northeast.” She is also the co-editor of Settlement Agreements in Commercial Disputes: Negotiating, Drafting & Enforcement.