Roberto Finzi, a former federal prosecutor, a partner in the Litigation Department and co-chair of the White Collar & Regulatory Defense Group, focuses on white collar matters, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, and internal investigations. Since his return from government service in 2006, he has represented individuals and organizations in many of the most recent law enforcement initiatives, including prosecutions and investigations involving stock options backdating, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, insider trading, accounting fraud, health care fraud and criminal anti-trust. His practice includes representing clients in all aspects of government inquiries, from the investigation stage through trial. His practice also includes regular counseling of public companies and general counsels on all areas of criminal and regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings.
- The representation of an international financial institution in connection with a global multi-jurisdictional criminal and regulatory investigation;
- The representation of an investment advisor in connection with criminal insider-trading charges in the Southern District of New York;
- The representation of major pharmaceutical corporations in separate Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney's Offices investigations of alleged off-label marketing in violation of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act;
- The representation of members of an audit committee of a public company in connection with an S.E.C. options-backdating investigation;
- The representation of a CEO in connection with a grand jury investigation of a pharmaceutical company;
- The representation of an executive in connection with a DOJ criminal antitrust investigation;
- The representation of an individual in connection with a DOJ Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation; and
- The pro bono trial defense of an indigent man wrongly accused of murder.
Between February of 1999 and his return to Paul, Weiss in January of 2006, Roberto was an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. In his seven years as a federal prosecutor, Roberto handled a wide variety of criminal investigations and prosecutions, conducting numerous jury trials in the district court and briefing and arguing numerous appeals before the Second Circuit. In 2003, Roberto became a member of the Southern District's Securities & Commodities Frauds Task Force. In that role, he investigated and tried a variety of cases involving, among other things, accounting fraud, investment advisor fraud and market manipulation. Mr. Finzi has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations. Mr. Finzi is also recognized by Legal 500 in Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense. In 2014, Mr. Finzi was named a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation.
Roberto served as an article editor for the Cornell Law Review.