A partner in the Real Estate Department, Salvatore Gogliormella focuses his practice on the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of real estate assets. He has significant experience in the healthcare industry, representing large REITs and other investors in connection with purchases, sales, leases, financings and joint venture and management arrangements with respect to assisted and independent living communities, memory care and skilled nursing facilities, hospitals and medical office buildings, and in the hospitality industry, negotiating agreements for the management, branding and financing of hotels and related residential products.
Sal's representations include:
- NorthStar Realty Finance Corp., a New York-based publicly traded commercial real estate company, in its:
- $4 billion acquisition of a Griffin-American-sponsored non-traded public REIT, which owned 289 healthcare facilities in 32 states and the United Kingdom;
- $1.125 billion acquisition of Trilogy Investors, through a joint venture with Griffin-American, involving the acquisition of 100 senior housing facilities and ancillary businesses; and
- $875 million acquisition of a portfolio of 35 independent living facilities in 12 states from Harvest Facility Holdings.
- HCP, Inc., an S&P 500 healthcare REIT, in its:
- $1.2 billion joint venture for a portfolio of 14 continuing-care retirement communities and hundreds of related garden homes;
- joint venture for a portfolio of 49 senior housing communities; and
- $850 million acquisition, through the formation of a joint venture, of the U.S. portfolio of a Canadian senior housing company, of 35 senior housing communities located across 8 states.
- Fontainebleau Miami JV, LLC, the owner of the iconic Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel, in its out-of-court restructuring of over $840 million in debt and other secured claims and in multiple subsequent refinancings of the hotel.
- A foreign investor in its engagement of Fairmont Hotels and Resorts to manage The Plaza Hotel in New York City.
- Las Vegas Sands, Corp. in negotiations with several of the world's leading hotel companies for the management and licensing of a strip of hotels in Macau.
- MTA in leasing transactions with Related Companies LP for the West Side Railyards.
- Oaktree Capital Management as part of a consortium of investors that created International Market Centers, L.P., the largest network of premium home furnishings, gift and home decor showroom and exhibition space in the world.
- Jonathan Rose Companies in its arrangements with non-profit cultural groups to develop a green mixed-use project in the Brooklyn Cultural District.
- KLM Equities in the acquisition and leasing of 920 Broadway located in New York City's Flatiron district.
In 2017, The Legal 500 listed Sal as a “Next Generation” lawyer. Sal has also been named a "Rising Star" by both the New York Law Journal (2016) and Law360 (2016 and 2014). He has served as pro bono counsel for a number of nonprofit organizations, including The Bronx Museum of the Arts, the Urban Justice Center and Community Access. He sits on the boards of directors of the New York Civil Liberties Union and of VIP Community Services, a Bronx-based organization that provides a continuum of services to individuals struggling with chemical dependency.