ProfessionalsSteven J. Williams
A partner and a deputy chair of the Corporate Department, Steven J. Williams is a member of the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions Group. Steven has extensive experience with public company transactions, leveraged buy-outs, mergers-of-equals, board representations and special committee representations, as well as with private equity and venture capital transactions, auctions, joint ventures, carve-outs, spin-outs and restructuring transactions. He is active in contested matters, representing targets in proxy fights, consent solicitations, tender offers and other unsolicited transactions. In addition, Steven has broad expertise in acquisitions and sales of asset management and other financial services firms.
Steven's recent transactions include representing:
- ADP in its successful proxy contest against Pershing Square
- Bellisio Foods in its sale to Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Company Limited
- Chambers Street Properties as counsel to the Board of Trustees and in its merger-of-equals with Gramercy Property Trust to create a leading industrial and office net lease real estate investment trust
- Chesapeake Lodging Trust in its pending $2.7 billion acquisition by Park Hotels & Resorts Inc.
- Chevron in its proposed acquisition of Anadarko Petroleum
- Chico's FAS, Inc. in its successful proxy contest with Barington Capital, L.P.
- Citigroup in its sale of Nikko Asset Management to The Sumitomo Trust and Banking Co., Ltd.
- Commvault in the activist campaign by Elliott Management
- The special committee of the board of directors of Expedia Group in its pending acquisition of Liberty Expedia Holdings
- General Electric in the pending sale of its BioPharma business to Danaher Corporation
- Harris Corporation in its sale of its government IT services business to Veritas Capital
- Honeywell in its spin-off of Garrett Motion Inc., Honeywell's former Transportation Systems business
- IBM in its pending acquisition of Red Hat
- Imperial Sugar Company as special counsel to the Board of Directors and in its sale to Louis Dreyfus Commodities
- Ingersoll Rand in the pending merger of its Industrial Segment with Gardner Denver
- International Strategy & Investment in its acquisition by Evercore
- Janus Capital Group Inc. in its strategic alliance with The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited, under which Dai-ichi Life agreed to invest general account assets with Janus and acquire 15 percent to 20 percent of Janus' common stock
- Mastercard International in its acquisition of Orbiscom Limited
- Nuance Communications, Inc. in its sale of its Document Imaging division to Kofax, Inc.
- The special committee of the Pilgrim’s Pride board of directors in its acquisition of Moy Park from JBS
- Qualcomm Incorporated in connection with an unsolicited offer from Broadcom and in the proposed acquisition by its subsidiary of NXP Semiconductors N.V.
- Reckitt Benckiser Group plc in its successful topping bid and tender offer for Schiff Nutrition International, Inc. and in its three-year collaboration agreement with the Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMS) for, and related option to acquire, a number of market-leading over-the-counter pharmaceutical brands in Brazil, Mexico and certain other parts of Latin America
- Spectrum Brands in its acquisition of Armored AutoGroup Parent, Inc., owner of Armor All, SPT and other automotive care brands; and its acquisition of the European Pet Food division of Procter & Gamble
- Tencent Holdings Limited in its going-private acquisition of eLong, Inc.; its investment in Glu Mobile Inc.; and its investment, together with JD.com, in Bitauto Holdings Limited
Steven served as a notes editor of the Columbia Law Review and was a James Kent Scholar and a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Steven is the recipient of a Legal Aid Society award for outstanding pro bono representation. Steven is a member of the advisory board of the Harvard Law School Program on Corporate Governance and serves on the Board of Directors of Education Through Music, Inc., a non-profit that works with New York City schools to develop and sustain school-wide music education programs.
Steven is recognized in The Legal 500 for his work on "M&A: large deals ($1bn+)."