ProfessionalsWilliam B. Michael
A partner in the Litigation Department, Bill Michael has extensive experience in antitrust litigation, including both civil and criminal government investigations, as well as other complex commercial litigation and appellate matters.
Significant representations include:
- Bumble Bee Seafoods in a putative class action and opt-out litigation involving claims of price fixing in the packaged seafood industry;
- Becton Dickinson in antitrust litigation, including competitor actions alleging monopolization, exclusive dealing and bundled discounts;
- News Corporation and certain subsidiaries in a putative class action involving claims of exclusive dealing and monopolization, as well as in an antitrust action brought by a competitor;
- Tribune Media Company in multidistrict litigation involving claims of price fixing in the market for the sale of local television advertisements;
- SAP AG in defense of an action brought by a business analytics provider alleging that SAP misappropriated trade secrets, infringed copyrights and violated antitrust laws related to its flagship product, HANA;
- Pretium Resources in winning a motion to dismiss of a complaint by a putative class of investors alleging securities fraud;
- A major energy company in a bid-rigging investigation by the United States Department of Justice;
- Private equity funds in litigation regarding the purchase and sale of portfolio companies;
- A law firm in connection with a state-law securities class action; and
- A medical device company in breach of contract litigation arising out of a joint venture.
Bill previously served as Chair of the Editorial Board of The Antitrust Practitioner, a publication of the American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Civil Practice and Procedure Committee. He is the co-author of the “United States” chapter in the tenth and eleventh editions of The Public Competition Enforcement Review and the co-author of the chapter titled “Settling an Antitrust Case” in Settlement Agreements in Commercial Disputes: Negotiating, Drafting & Enforcement. Bill has also authored several articles on antitrust-related issues for publications that include the New York Law Journal, Law360 and Competition Policy International.
Bill was recognized in the 2018 edition of The Legal 500 US as a Recommended Lawyer in the Antitrust: Civil Litigation/Class Actions category.
Prior to joining Paul, Weiss, Bill was a trial attorney in the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice, where he focused on civil merger and non-merger investigations in the telecommunications and media industries.
In law school, Bill was a senior editor of the Yale Law Journal.