ProfessionalsXiaoyu Greg Liu
A partner in the Corporate Department, Greg Liu is based in Beijing and is a member of the firm’s China Practice Group.
Greg has worked on a variety of cross-border M&A transactions involving companies based in Greater China, including representations of private equity funds and strategic investors on inbound investments in Greater China, representations of private equity funds and special committees on take-private and PIPE transactions in various jurisdictions, and representations of Chinese companies on outbound investments, acquisitions and joint ventures.
Selected transactions Greg has been involved in include:
- Private equity investments by Actis China, Apollo Real Estate, Carlyle Asia, CDH Investments, Centre Partners, Forebright Capital, General Atlantic, Hony Capital, IDG Capital, KKR Asia, Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia, Oaktree Capital and PAG in a variety of industries in Greater China;
- Take-private transactions involving U.S.-listed Sungy Mobile (IDG Capital), iSoftStone Holdings (Forebright) and 7 Days Group (Actis), HK- and U.S.-listed Asia Satellite and TOM Online, Taiwan- and U.S.-listed ASE (Carlyle), Taiwan-listed Fu Sheng(Oaktree) and Singapore-listed companies, and PIPE investments in U.S.-listed Yongye International (Morgan Stanley) and China-listed Qingdao Haier and Fujian Sunner (KKR);
- Baidu's US$3.4 billion share exchange transaction with Ctrip involving Baidu's stake in Qunar, all three companies listed on the Nasdaq, and Baidu's joint venture with Rakuten and investment in iQiyi;
- Universal Beijing resort joint venture between Universal Parks & Resorts and Beijing Shouhuan;
- Acquisition by Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia of the Home Control division of Philips;
- Kate Spade's acquisitions and joint ventures in Greater China and Southeast Asia;
- Acquisition by Suning Commerce Group and Hony Capital of PPTV, a Chinese on-line video company;
- Tencent's joint venture with Groupon and investment in FTuan;
- Acquisition by CDH Investments and Belle International of a majority stake in Baroque Japan, a Japanese fashion retailer;
- Acquisition by Trendy International of the global owner of the Miss Sixty brand;
- US$5.5 billion Shanghai Disney Resort joint venture between Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group;
- Various other investments, outbound acquisitions and joint ventures of Baidu, Belle International, Bosideng, China Dongxiang, Eve Fashion, Tencent, TCL, Trendy International and other Chinese companies, including outbound investments in Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, UK, U.S. and other countries; and
- U.S. IPOs and listings of China Telecom, China Unicom, Sohu and other Chinese companies.
Greg's work has earned him recognition as a leading lawyer in China by Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000, China Law & Practice, Asia Law and Who's Who Legal. Greg was consecutively named as one of 2018 and 2017 Top M&A Lawyers in China by Asian Legal Business, a Thomson Reuters publication. In addition, Greg was nominated as a finalist for Dealmaker of the Year - International by Asian Legal Business China Law Awards in 2016 and 2017.