ProfessionalsXiaoyu Greg Liu
A partner in the Corporate Department, Greg Liu is based in Beijing and is a member of the firm’s China Practice Group.
Greg has worked on a variety of cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions, including representations of financial and strategic investors on investments in Asia, representations of investors and special committees on take-private and PIPE transactions of public companies listed in the U.S., Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Thailand, and representations of Chinese companies on U.S. IPOs, outbound acquisitions and joint ventures. Greg has also represented Chinese banks and companies on U.S. litigation and U.S. economic sanctions and export control matters.
Selected M&A and capital markets transactions Greg has worked on include:
- Private equity investments by Actis, Apollo, Carlyle, CDH, Centre Partners, Forebright, General Atlantic, Goldman Sachs, Hony Capital, IDG, KKR, Morgan Stanley, Oaktree Capital and PAG in Greater China;
- Take-private transactions involving:
- U.S.-listed targets: Sungy Mobile, iSoftStone, 7 Days Group, Yongye International, Focus Media and Bona Film,
- U.S.- and HK-dual listed targets: Asia Satellite and TOM Online,
- U.S.- and Taiwan-dual listed target: Advanced Semiconductor Engineering,
- Taiwan-listed targets: Fu Sheng International and Yageo Corporation,
- Thailand-listed target: DSG International, and
- Singapore-listed targets;
- PIPE investments in:
- U.S.-listed targets: Eros International and Yongye International,
- China-listed targets: Qingdao Haier and Fujian Sunner, and
- HK-listed targets: Shougang Concord, C.Banner International and IDG Energy Investment;
- Representation of Hony Capital and TPG, as major shareholders of STX Filmworks, in the proposed merger of equals between STX, a California-based media company, and Eros International Plc, an India-based, NYSE-listed film production and distribution company;
- U.S.-listed MagnaChip’s agreement to sell its foundry business and manufacturing facility in Korea in a deal valued at about US$451 million;
- Baidu's US$3.4 billion share exchange transaction with Ctrip involving Baidu's stake in Qunar, all three companies listed on the Nasdaq, and Baidu's joint venture with Rakuten and investment in iQiyi;
- US$7.5 billion Universal Beijing resort joint venture between Universal Parks & Resorts and Beijing Shouhuan;
- US$5.5 billion Shanghai Disney Resort joint venture between Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group;
- Kate Spade’s acquisitions and joint ventures in Greater China and Southeast Asia;
- Acquisition by Suning Commerce Group and Hony Capital of PPTV, a Chinese on-line video company;
- Tencent’s joint venture with Groupon, investment in Ftuan and other investments;
- Acquisition by CDH Investments and Belle International of a majority stake in Baroque Japan, a Japanese fashion retailer;
- Acquisition by Trendy International of the global owner of the Miss Sixty brand;
- Various M&A, joint venture and licensing transactions involving the following fashion or apparel brands: Acne Studios, Belle, FILA, Juicy Couture, Kappa, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Miss Sixty, Moussy, Replay, The Children’s Place, Topshop and other brands;
- Various investments, outbound acquisitions and joint ventures of Baidu, Belle International, China Dongxiang, Tencent, TCL Group, Trendy International, Dalian Wanda Group and other Chinese companies, including outbound investments in Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, UK, U.S. and other countries; and
- U.S. IPOs and listings of Wanda Sports Group, China Telecom, China Unicom, Sohu and other Chinese companies.
Greg's work has earned him recognition as a leading lawyer in China by Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000, China Law & Practice, Asia Law and Who's Who Legal. Greg has been listed on China Business Law Journal’s annual "A List" for 2019 and was consecutively named as one of 2018 and 2017 Top M&A Lawyers in China by Asian Legal Business, a Thomson Reuters publication. In addition, Greg was nominated as a finalist for Dealmaker of the Year - International by Asian Legal Business China Law Awards in 2016 and 2017.