ProfessionalsXiaoyu Greg Liu
A partner in the Corporate Department, Greg Liu is based out of the firm’s China offices in Beijing and Hong Kong.
Greg has worked on a variety of cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions, including representations of financial and strategic investors on investments in Asia, representations of investors and special committees on take-private and PIPE transactions of public companies listed in the U.S., Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Thailand, and representations of Chinese companies on U.S. IPOs, outbound acquisitions and joint ventures. Greg has also represented Chinese banks and companies on U.S. litigation and U.S. economic sanctions and export control matters.
Selected M&A and capital markets transactions Greg has worked on include:
- Take-private transactions involving:
- U.S.-listed targets: Wanda Sports Group, Sungy Mobile, iSoftStone, 7 Days Group, Synutra, Focus Media and Bona Film,
- U.S.- and HK-dual listed targets: Asia Satellite and TOM Online,
- U.S.- and Taiwan-dual listed target: Taiwan Liposome Company (TLC) and Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE),
- Taiwan-listed targets: Fu Sheng International and Yageo Corporation,
- Thailand-listed target: DSG International, and
- Singapore-listed targets;
- PIPE investments in:
- China-listed targets: Qingdao Haier and Fujian Sunner,
- U.S.-listed targets: Eros International and Yongye International, and
- HK-listed targets: Shougang Concord, C.Banner International and IDG Energy Investment;
- Private equity investments by Apollo, Carlyle, CDH Investment, General Atlantic, Hony Capital, IDG, KKR, Morgan Stanley, and PAG in Greater China;
- Various M&A, joint venture and licensing transactions involving the following fashion or apparel brands: Acne Studios, Belle, FILA, Juicy Couture, Kappa, Michael Kors, Moussy, Replay, The Children’s Place, Topshop and other brands;
- Various investments, outbound acquisitions and joint ventures of Baidu, Belle International, China Dongxiang, Tencent, TCL Group, Trendy International, Dalian Wanda Group and other Chinese companies, including outbound investments in Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, UK, U.S. and other countries;
- U.S.-listed MagnaChip’s agreement to sell its foundry business and manufacturing facility in Korea to Korean private equity funds;
- Representation of Hony Capital and TPG, as major shareholders of STX Filmworks, in the merger of equals between STX, a California-based media company, and Eros International Plc, an India-based, NYSE-listed film production and distribution company;
- Tencent’s joint venture with Groupon, investment in Ftuan and other investments;
- US$7.5 billion Universal Beijing resort joint venture between Universal Parks & Resorts and Beijing Shouhuan;
- US$5.5 billion Shanghai Disney Resort joint venture between Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group;
- Baidu’s US$3.4 billion share exchange transaction with Ctrip involving Baidu’s stake in Qunar, all three companies listed on the Nasdaq, and Baidu’s joint venture with Rakuten and investment in iQiyi;
- Kate Spade’s acquisitions and joint ventures in Greater China and Southeast Asia;
- Acquisition by Trendy International of the global owner of the Miss Sixty brand;
- Acquisition by Suning Commerce Group and Hony Capital of PPTV, a Chinese on-line video company;
- Acquisition by CDH Investments and Belle International of a majority stake in Baroque Japan, a Japanese fashion retailer; and
- U.S. IPOs and listings of Wanda Sports Group, China Telecom, China Unicom, Sohu and other Chinese companies.
Greg’s work has earned him recognition as a leading lawyer in China by Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000, China Law & Practice, Asia Law and Who’s Who Legal. Greg has been listed on China Business Law Journal’s annual “A List” for 2019 and was consecutively named as one of 2018 and 2017 Top M&A Lawyers in China by Asian Legal Business, a Thomson Reuters publication. In addition, Greg was nominated as a finalist for Dealmaker of the Year - International by Asian Legal Business China Law Awards in 2016 and 2017.