Data Innovation, Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Learn More
With innovation in data collection and monetization continuing to accelerate and concerns about data protection, privacy and cybersecurity prompting ever-greater global scrutiny, boards and senior executives require sophisticated counsel to assess and navigate risks around the use of customer, business partner or employee data. We help clients establish oversight and compliance frameworks that reduce the potential for large-scale data breaches or cyber incidents, manage and mitigate fast-moving crises when they occur, and respond to related litigation.
Our Data Innovation, Privacy & Cybersecurity team counsels the world’s leading companies and boards on a wide range of privacy, data protection and cybersecurity matters. We help clients identify and mitigate existing and emerging legal risks at the intersection of privacy regulation, cybersecurity, consumer protection, antitrust and related areas. We leverage our team’s deep experience and knowledge in the area to provide compliance and diligence solutions that minimize risk and to mitigate data-related crises when they occur.
We help boards and senior executives:
- understand fast-changing regulations, regulatory expectations, disclosure obligations and industry standards related to data privacy and information security;
- develop compliance frameworks to identify and address data collection, sharing, use and retention practices that may give rise to privacy, consumer protection or other regulatory risks;
- analyze proposed products, practices, and business models where the use of customer, business partner or employee data may present litigation and regulatory risks;
- implement cybersecurity policies and procedures tailored to the external and internal risks of the company; and
- put in place crisis management and disaster recovery plans.
Companies experiencing significant breaches or accused of misuse of consumer data rely on us to help them confront a barrage of immediate and longer-term challenges, including media scrutiny and reputational damage, federal and state regulatory probes, class action litigation by customers or employees, derivative litigation, and even congressional investigations and hearings. We are adept at providing real-time guidance in the immediate aftermath of an incident, and at responding to the longer-term litigation and regulatory fallout, drawing on our preeminent litigation, white collar and regulatory defense, investigations and antitrust teams.
Clients benefit from our significant government and private sector experience in the data privacy and cybersecurity area; the team includes a former Secretary for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who coordinated cyber response efforts with critical sectors of the U.S. economy; a former member of the Special Counsel’s Office, who led the team investigating Russian cyber, social media and intelligence efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election; a former Treasury Department deputy general counsel with responsibility for data protection and cybersecurity matters affecting the financial sector; former Federal Trade Commission officials; and a former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York who served as Chief of the Complex Frauds and Cybercrime Unit, among others.