Employment-related disputes can have far-reaching implications, creating not only litigation and regulatory risk, but potentially affecting a company’s brand, reputation, ability to attract and retain talent, and market share. Paul, Weiss has a proven track record in successfully litigating and favorably resolving complex and high-profile civil and regulatory employment matters, and in deftly handling sensitive internal investigations. When the stakes are highest, employers, boards and senior management confidently turn to Paul, Weiss.
Specific examples of our work include representing:
- 21st Century Fox in:
- investigations concerning Roger Ailes, Bill O’Reilly and other related matters; and
- litigation involving gender discrimination, sexual harassment and hostile work environment claims.
- Activision in the successful resolution of an employment and contractual dispute with the designers of the Call of Duty video-game title and 40 former employees of their design studio, who sought more than $1 billion in damages.
- Citigroup in numerous matters, including:
- the dismissal of a putative class action brought by current and former employees alleging that the non-compete provisions of their employment agreements violated California’s Unfair Competition Law (UCL); and
- the successful resolution of a putative nationwide class action alleging discrimination against female brokers in the distribution of client accounts, administrative support, and partnership opportunities.
- Columbia University in defense of claims brought by current and former students alleging violations of Title IX, Title VII and state and local laws based on gender discrimination, harassment and hostile work environment.
- Dave & Busters in the successful resolution of ERISA litigation regarding employee health benefits.
- IBM in connection with actual and threatened litigations concerning enforcement of employee restrictive covenants, non-competition agreements and equity clawback contracts.
- ING in the successful defense and resolution of a putative nationwide class action lawsuit filed by former employees alleging race discrimination and retaliation under federal and state law.
- The Minnesota Vikings in an out-of-court settlement resolving allegations of wrongful termination and defamation of character threatened by a former player.
- NBC Universal in achieving a favorable settlement in two collective class actions alleging violations of the FLSA and New York Labor Laws based on a failure to pay overtime.
- The National Football League (NFL) in a number of high-profile matters including:
- an investigation into workplace conduct within the Miami Dolphins organization; and
- negotiating a landmark deal that will compensate former NFL players with valid claims of cognitive impairment over the 65-year term of the settlement, in the defense of hundreds of concussion lawsuits brought by more than 5,000 former NFL players arising from the alleged long-term effects of concussions sustained by them while they played professional football.
- Prudential in achieving favorable settlements or dismissals of claims brought by over 200 current and former employees alleging a conspiracy related to the prior resolution of their employment-related claims in an alternative dispute resolution process.
- A Special Committee of the Board of Trustees of Syracuse University in an investigation of the University’s 2005 response to a report that a former assistant coach of the men’s basketball team had been accused of sexual assault.