- Learn More
Our attorneys combine comprehensive knowledge of environmental laws and regulatory developments with a keen understanding of our clients’ business interests. With an environmental practice that spans transactional work, compliance advice and litigation, we have handled critical environmental matters faced by our clients. We help clients effectively manage the business and legal risks of environmental matters, with solutions that address both short- and long-term impacts.
Our practice has worked diligently to provide the necessary and appropriate solutions to our clients' environmental business issues. Significant matters have included:
- Agrium Inc., a major supplier of agricultural products and services in North and South America, in its merger of equals with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc., a Canada-based crop nutrient company, to create an integrated global supplier of crop inputs with an enterprise value of approximately $36 billion.
- Baytex Energy, a Calgary-based oil and gas acquisition, development and production company, in its Cdn.$1.8 billion acquisition of Aurora Oil & Gas, an Australia-based oil and gas exploration and production company and in its private offering in the United States of $800 million of high yield debt securities.
- Bicent Power Company LLC, an affiliate of Beowulf Energy and Natural Gas Partners, in connection with an agreement to acquire Northwestern Corp.’s 30 percent interest in Colstrip Unit 4, a 740 MW coal-fired facility, for $404 million in cash.
- Cenovus Energy, a wholly-owned subsidiary of EnCana Corporation, in connection with Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $3.5 billion of senior notes.
- GENCO Distribution System, a Pennsylvania-based logistics provider, in its $1.4 billion acquisition by FedEx Corp.
- Hewlett-Packard Company in its $1.05 billion acquisition of the global printer business of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Husky Energy in connection with a public offering of $1.5 billion of debt securities.
- KPS Capital Partners, LP in its acquisition, through a newly formed affiliate, of C&D Technologies, Inc., a Pennsylvania-based technology company that produces and markets systems for the power conversion and storage of electrical power, and its affiliates.
- NorthStar Realty Finance Corp., a New York-based diversified commercial real estate company, in its $4 billion acquisition of the outstanding shares of Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II.
- Oceanbulk Shipping LLC and Oceanbulk Carriers LLC, international dry bulk shipping companies and portfolio companies of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., in a stock-for-stock sale to Star Bulk Carriers Corp., a Greece-based dry bulk shipping company. The transaction created the largest diversified U.S. listed dry bulk company, and resulted in Oaktree’s ownership of 61.3% of Star Bulk’s shares of common stock.
- Qualcomm Incorporated in the acquisition by its subsidiary of NXP Semiconductors N.V., a Netherlands-based provider of secure connectivity solutions for embedded applications, for approximately $47 billion.
- Russell Hobbs in the completion of a transaction with Spectrum Brands, Inc. which brings Russell Hobbs' network of well-respected family of small appliance brands into Spectrum's portfolio to form a new global consumer products company with an estimated $3 billion in annual revenues.
- The Underwriters in numerous offerings of investment-grade debt totaling $9.75 billion by TransCanada Pipelines Limited, a Canadian natural gas, oil and energy company.
- Exxon Mobil in a major environmental dispute relating to natural resource damage.
- Tronox Chemical, where we represented various parties involved in the chapter 11 proceedings
- AbitibiBowater (now Resolute Forest Products), where we represented various parties involved in the chapter 11 proceedings.
- Viacom in an environmental insurance coverage action that involved coverage claims against more than 80 insurers at more than 45 sites across the country.