Identifying obscure but potentially costly tax issues is a skill. Solving them in the context of our client’s goals is an art, and one that Paul, Weiss practices at the highest level. Working closely with the Corporate and Bankruptcy Departments, our tax lawyers help clients solve problems, avoid pitfalls and uncover hidden value in all types of transactions.
Our Tax and Corporate lawyers work closely together on a variety of transactions in a range of industries and geographies. Together, we have helped:
- Financial industry giants raise capital and retool their enterprises;
- Major media and entertainment industry players forge new business alliances;
- Investors, fund sponsors and managers harmonize tax demands surrounding major fund formations;
- Distressed organizations preserve tax attributes in industry-altering corporate restructurings;
- Real estate firms navigate the tax-sensitive formation and operation of private and public real estate investment trusts; and
- International clients devise structures to minimize tax costs in multiple jurisdictions.
Clients invite us regularly to handle tax implications in corporate transactions of every stripe, including:
- Domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestitures and spin-offs
- Multinational investment and venture capital funds
- Financings, including public and private securities offerings
- Securitizations, project financings, leveraged leases and other complex credit transactions
- Bankruptcy and insolvency reorganizations and restructurings
- Partnerships and joint ventures
- Real estate and entertainment transactions and matters
We have a long history of international representations. Our work includes transactions featuring the interplay of the U.S. tax system with the tax systems of virtually every major financial center in Canada, Europe and Asia. To achieve the best results for our international clients, our U.S. tax lawyers work seamlessly with colleagues in our Toronto, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing offices.