Our tax team is involved at every stage of a deal's life from structuring through implementation. As an integral part of the business transactions practice, we work closely with our counterparts in the Corporate Department to uncover underlying tax benefits and to construct innovative tax strategies. This close involvement helps our clients find ways to increase their overall economic benefit at every stage - helping provide the key to a successful transaction.
Why Paul, Weiss
Our tax lawyers are integral, front-line players in the strategizing and structuring of crucial transactions often involving billions of dollars. We work closely with the firm's other esteemed transactional lawyers to create innovative structures to obtain the best fiscally responsible tax advantages for our clients on their most important matters.
We work as trusted counselors to our clients and understand how tax issues fit into the complicated landscape in which they operate. With the exception of a separate employee benefits sub-group, we avoid sub-specialization because we have found that, as generalists, we bring together our diverse experience to develop a unique and more effective approach.
Our tax lawyers are among the most distinguished in the legal marketplace. We are often at the forefront in designing new tax strategies in an ever-changing regulatory landscape, and we proactively seek long-range, strategic solutions for our clients even outside of a transactional setting.
Most important, we are problem solvers. Identifying obscure but potentially costly tax issues is a skill. Solving them in the context of our client's goals is an art, and it is one that we practice at the highest level.
Our Tax and Corporate lawyers work closely together on a variety of transactions in a range of industries and geographies. Together, we have helped:
- Financial industry giants raise capital and retool their enterprises;
- Major media and entertainment industry players forge new business alliances;
- Investors, fund sponsors and managers harmonize tax demands surrounding major fund formations;
- Distressed organizations preserve tax attributes in industry-altering corporate restructurings;
- Real estate firms navigate the tax-sensitive formation and operation of private and public real estate investment trusts; and
- International clients devise structures to minimize tax costs in multiple jurisdictions.
Clients invite us regularly to handle tax implications in corporate transactions of every stripe, including:
- Domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestitures and spin-offs
- Multinational investment and venture capital funds
- Financings, including public and private securities offerings
- Securitizations, project financings, leveraged leases and other complex credit transactions
- Bankruptcy and insolvency reorganizations and restructurings
- Partnerships and joint ventures
- Real estate and entertainment transactions and matters
We have a long history of international representations. Our work includes transactions featuring the interplay of the U.S. tax system with the tax systems of virtually every major financial center in Canada, Europe and Asia. To achieve the best results for our international clients, our U.S. tax lawyers work seamlessly with colleagues in our Toronto, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing offices.