ProfessionalsDavid W. Brown
A partner in the Litigation Department, David Brown focuses his practice primarily on white collar defense and regulatory enforcement matters and internal investigations. His practice also includes securities and other civil litigation.
- 21st Century Fox in investigations concerning Roger Ailes, Bill O’Reilly and other related matters;
- A Fortune 50 retail company in internal investigations concerning alleged employee misconduct;
- A public oil refining company in internal investigations concerning alleged employee misconduct;
- The CEO and CFO of a public pharmaceutical company in securities litigations concerning alleged misstatements to investors;
- A former director of CBS Corporation in securities litigation concerning the company’s public disclosures;
- The owners of a private pharmaceutical company in government investigations and civil litigation concerning the sale and market of opioid products;
- A public telehealth company in an investigation by the New York Attorney General’s Office;
- A public commercial real estate company in a dispute with a tenant regarding compliance with lease conditions;
- A major state university in a disciplinary hearing before the NCAA;
- The National Football League in an investigation concerning workplace conduct at the Miami Dolphins following the departure of offensive lineman Jonathan Martin;
- The National Basketball Players Association in an investigation into allegations of nepotism and conflicts of interest;
- A former executive of mortgage giant Freddie Mac in an SEC enforcement action concerning disclosures regarding subprime mortgages;
- The former Chairman and CEO of a public pharmaceutical company in a DOJ investigation relating to the company’s sales and marketing practices;
- The former Chairman and CEO of an Asian conglomerate in connection with a DOJ FCPA investigation of its operations in Brazil, Eastern Europe and Central Asia;
- A multilateral development bank in connection with an internal investigation of corruption by one of its directors;
- A private manufacturing firm in connection with an internal FCPA investigation concerning conduct in the Middle East and Asia;
- A former executive of a European multinational company in connection with a DOJ FCPA investigation of its operations in the Middle East;
- Skanska and Tutor Perini, two of the largest construction companies in the U.S., in government investigations concerning the utilization of minority-owned subcontractors;
- Prudential in a litigation challenging the prior settlement of hundreds of employment discrimination claims; and
- I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, chief of staff to former Vice President Dick Cheney, on perjury charges.
David also maintains an active pro bono practice. Recently, he led a team that helped to exonerate Pablo Fernandez, an innocent man who spent 24 years in prison in New York for a murder that he did not commit. He has represented other criminal defendants in proceedings seeking clemency and post-conviction relief. He has also represented charter schools in New York City in litigations concerning shared space in Department of Education buildings.
In 2013, David served as a member of the Panel for Educational Policy, the successor entity to the New York City Board of Education, as an appointee of former Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
David currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the Board of Directors of the Council of Urban Professionals.
David is recognized by The Legal 500 for his work in General Commercial Disputes.