ProfessionalsGregory A. Ezring
A partner in the Corporate Department, co-head of the firm’s Finance Practice Group and co-head of the firm’s North American Capital Markets and Securities Practice Group, Greg focuses his practice on representation of private equity funds and other alternative asset managers, including Apollo Global Management, and their portfolio companies in leveraged finance transactions (including both high yield bonds and leveraged loans), debt restructurings and public equity offerings.
Greg also has substantial experience in representing alternative asset managers in investing in leveraged debt instruments (or portfolios of leveraged debt investments) in both un-levered and leveraged transactions in a variety of structures, including total return swaps.
Representative leveraged buy-out transactions include:
- Apollo Global Management in its:
- as lead investors, $1.75 billion investment in Albertsons Companies;
- $1.792 billion of debt financing to support the merger of New Media Investment Group, Inc. and Gannett Co., Inc.;
- acquisition of a majority interest in Cox Media Group’s broadcast television stations from Cox Enterprises Inc.;
- $2.7 billion acquisition of Shutterfly, and pending acquisition of Snapfish;
- $2.2 billion acquisition of ClubCorp;
- $2.225 billion acquisition of Rackspace Hosting, Inc.;
- $1.21 billion acquisition of Outerwall Inc.;
- $2.2 billion acquisition of Diamond Resorts International, Inc.;
- $3 billion acquisition of The ADT Corporation;
- $1.03 billion acquisition of OM Group;
- $7.15 billion acquisition of El Paso’s energy production business;
- $650 million acquisition of Jimmy Sanders, Inc.;
- $2.4 billion acquisition of McGraw-Hill Education; and
- $31 billion acquisition of Harrah’s Entertainment Inc.
- RegionalCare Hospital Partners, Inc. in:
- its $5.6 billion acquisition of LifePoint Health, Inc.; and
- its merger with Capella Healthcare, Inc.
- The Stars Group Inc., a Canadian online gaming company, in its $4.495 billion USD and €850 million senior secured credit facilities in connection with its acquisition of U.K.-based Sky Betting & Gaming, creating the world’s largest publicly listed online gaming company.
Representative high yield transactions include:
- EP Energy LLC in its issuance of $3.5 billion of high yield bonds and loans;
- CEC Entertainment (Chuck E Cheese) in its recent offering of $255 million of senior notes;
- Momentive Specialty Chemicals Inc. in its offering of $1.1 billion of first lien notes;
- McGraw-Hill School Education Holdings in its offering of $800 million of high yield notes;
- Talos Production LLC in its offering of $300 million of high yield notes; and
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation, Momentive Performance Materials Inc. and Verso Paper Holdings LLC, among others, in their debt restructurings.
Representative leveraged loan transactions include:
- Constellis Holdings, LLC, in its $827.5 million senior secured credit facility;
- Cloud Crane Intermediate, Inc. in its $650 senior secured credit facilities in connection with its acquisitions of Maxim Crane and AmQuip, leading providers of crane rental services, from Platinum Equity and Clearlake Capital, respectively;
- McGraw-Hill School Education Holdings in its $1.05 billion secured credit facility;
- EP Energy LLC in its $2.0 billion reserve-based revolving credit facility;
- Hostess Brands in its $1.025 billion first lien credit facility and its $300 million second lien credit facility;
- Verso Corporation in its $595 million senior secured credit facilities in connection with its acquisition of NewPage Holdings;
- Pinnacle Operating Corporation in its $300 million asset-based loan, $350 million first lien credit facility and $125 million credit facility;
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in its $9.25 billion credit agreement; and
- CEC Entertainment Inc. (Chuck E Cheese) in its $1.06 billion credit agreement.
Representative equity offerings include:
- Apollo Global Management LLC in its initial public offering;
- AP Alternative Assets LP in its initial equity offering; and
- Caesars Entertainment in its initial public offering.
Representative investments in debt portfolios include:
- The acquisition of over $5 billion in face amount of leveraged/loans and high yield bonds from a major money center bank, where leverage was provided directly as well as utilizing a total return swap; and
- The acquisition of over $2 billion in face amount of leveraged loans from a major money lender bank, where leverage was provided by the bank.
Other representations include:
- Apollo Global Management in the restructuring of Claire's Inc.;
- Pinnacle Agriculture Holdings, LLC in connection with its out-of-court recapitalization and exchange offer transactions; and
- An ad hoc committee of cross-holders holding approximately 45% of PetSmart’s secured and unsecured debt in connection with challenging certain spin transactions.
Greg is recognized as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA and Chambers Global in Banking & Finance and Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, in which market sources describe him as “extremely attentive, driven and very bright.” He is also recommended by The Legal 500 in Capital Markets and Bank Lending.