ProfessionalsJarrett R. Hoffman
Jarrett R. Hoffman is a counsel in the firm’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Group. His practice focuses on the transactional aspects of executive compensation matters in the context of domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and public offerings.
Jarrett counsels boards of directors, compensation committees, management teams and individual executives in all aspects of CEO and senior executive employment relationships and transitions from employment, including transaction-specific change in control, retention and severance arrangements. Jarrett regularly counsels companies with respect to executive compensation issues, obligations and strategies arising under tax, securities and employment laws. In addition, Jarrett advises clients on the design and implementation of equity, incentive and non-qualified deferred compensation plans, programs and agreements.
Some of his noteworthy work includes:
- Qualcomm in connection with a $130 billion unsolicited offer from Broadcom and its acquisition of Atheros Communications for $3.2 billion;
- CBS in its $40 billion merger with Viacom;
- IBM in its $34 billion acquisition of Red Hat, its sale of the Sales Performance Management Solutions business and multiple outsourcing-related transactions;
- Honeywell in the spin-off of its turbochargers business, Garrett Motion Inc.;
- GE Capital in its proposed sale of PK AirFinance;
- Teladoc Health in its proposed $18.5 billion acquisition of Livongo Health;
- Bioverativ in its $11.6 billion sale to Sanofi;
- CSRA in its $9.6 billion sale to General Dynamics;
- Special committee of independent directors of Pattern Energy Group Inc. in its $6.1 billion acquisition by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board;
- ILG in its $4.7 billion sale to Marriott Vacations Worldwide;
- The Kraft Heinz Company in its proposed $3.2 billion sale of its cheese businesses to Groupe Lactalis;
- Taylor Morrison in its $2.4 billion acquisition of William Lyon Homes;
- Barnes & Noble, Inc. in its $683 million acquisition by Elliott Advisors (UK);
- Special committee of independent directors of Perry Ellis International, Inc. in connection with its merger with a group led by its founder George Feldenkreis for approximately $430 million;
- Funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC in the acquisition of Phoenix Services LLC;
- Viking Global Investors LP in its investment in Rockefeller Capital Management;
- General Atlantic in its investments in ACES, Authentic Brands Group LLC, Doctor on Demand, Invoice Cloud, Marathon Health, Morphe Holdings, OurHealth and Sonendo, Inc., and its sale of EN Engineering;
- Authentic Brands Group LLC in its acquisition of Sports Illustrated from Meredith Corporation;
- Pulte Group, Inc. in its acquisition of the homebuilding assets of American West Homes;
- Funds managed by Gamut Capital Management, L.P. in its investment in International Automotive Components Group S.A. and the acquisition of JPW Industries, Inc. and its global affiliates, and JPW’s follow-on acquisition of Baileigh Industrial, Inc.; and
- Boat Rocker Media in its acquisition of Matador Content and its investment in Untitled Entertainment.
Other noteworthy work includes:
- IBM in various divestiture and acquisition transactions, including:
- its $2.3 billion divestiture of its x86 Server Business to Lenovo Group Ltd.;
- its $850 million divestiture of Retail Store Solutions to Toshiba TEC;
- its $505 million divestiture of Customer Care Business Process Outsourcing to SYNNEX Corporation;
- its $480 million acquisition of Unica Corporation; and
- its $340 million acquisition of ILOG.
- Pilgrim’s Pride in its $7.7 billion offer for Hillshire Brands and in a competing offer to acquire Hillshire made by Tyson Foods;
- Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. in its $3.2 billion acquisition of Texas Industries, Inc.;
- Unilever PLC in the $700 million divestiture of its Global Skippy Business to Hormel Goods Corporation and Culver Specialty Brands to B&G Goods, Inc.;
- Barnes & Noble, Inc. on the spin-off of Barnes & Noble Education, Inc.;
- On Location Experiences in its acquisitions of Anthony Travel, Kreate Events and Nomadic Entertainment; and
- Tudor Investment Corporation in establishing LaunchPad Trading LLC, a joint venture between Tudor and HC Technologies.
Jarrett has also represented several leading companies in their employment, retention and separation arrangements with senior executives, including Bacardi Limited, Caithness Corporation, CoverMyMeds, First Solar, Javelin Global Commodities, LifeLock, On Location Experiences, Viking Cruises and WhistlePig. He also represented dozens of Chief Executive Officers, founders and senior executives in connection with their employment and separation arrangements with various companies.