- Learn More
Clients facing complex, high-value international business disputes are increasingly looking to international arbitration to resolve them. Paul, Weiss positions companies and investors to secure the most favorable decisions possible, drawing on our team’s experience and prowess as courtroom advocates, and a specialized knowledge of the major arbitration bodies’ rules and procedures.
International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) Arbitration
- A German-based IT company in the radiotherapy field in an AAA/ICDR arbitration (and parallel Delaware litigation) regarding a dispute under a long-running sales contract. We secured a substantial cash payment and other favorable terms on behalf of the company.
- Citigroup in a $7.5 billion ICDR arbitration brought by the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA). The three-person arbitration panel unanimously decided in our client’s favor. The favorable arbitral panel ruling was subsequently upheld by Judge George Daniels of the Southern District of New York, and most recently by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Santa Barbara Hospitality, N.V., (SBH) in a successful arbitration against Hyatt before an arbitration panel from the International Centre for Dispute Resolution involving alleged breaches of a hotel management agreement involving a 350-room luxury resort in the Caribbean. After a two week trial, the arbitrators ruled that SBH properly terminated Hyatt under the hotel management agreement and that Hyatt breached its fiduciary duties, resulting in the Panel awarding SBH $1.7 million in damages, representing the management fees paid by SBH to Hyatt.
- Private equity professionals in an ICDR arbitration against a private equity firm based in the Middle East raising a variety of employment-related issues and seeking substantial damages.
- A leading producer of premium men’s grooming and skin care products in a dispute with its Russian distributor concerning allegations of product diversion. Paul, Weiss was able to avoid formal arbitration proceedings before the ICDR by successfully negotiating a favorable settlement that allowed the company to recover unsold product and unwind its relationship with the Russian distributor.
International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Arbitration
- A private equity firm, in an ICC arbitration brought by another private equity firm that alleged breaches of the purchase agreement for interests in a South American technology company. The matter was successfully resolved prior to hearing.
- A Thai manufacturer in connection with an ICC Arbitration concerning a dispute over pricing and disclosure obligations pursuant to a long-term purchase and sale agreement.
- A Chinese-based telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration in Hong Kong with respect to a patent licensing dispute arising from a joint venture transaction with a global communications technology company.
- A publicly-traded financial institution in emergency arbitration proceedings before the ICC, and obtained relief requiring counterparty to adhere to contract and provide services during pendency of a dispute.
UK Act Arbitration
- A large independent crude oil and natural gas producer and its insurer in a UK Arbitration Act arbitration against their reinsurer regarding a dispute arising out of damages suffered at an off-shore oil platform.
- A global oil and gas company in a UK Arbitration Act dispute with its reinsurance carrier regarding property damage coverage for a Gulf of Mexico oil platform destroyed by Hurricane Ike.
Other Arbitration Forums
- A technology company in advising on an international arbitration proceeding before the Singapore International Arbitration Committee concerning enforcement of employee restrictive covenants and equity rescission claims.
- An international sports organization in a nationwide class action seeking injunctive relief in the form of rules changes and medical monitoring. Paul, Weiss moved to compel arbitration based on the applicability of the mandatory arbitration provision in the organization’s bylaws calling for arbitration of disputes in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (“CAS”). The organization was dismissed with prejudice and without leave to replead.
- Invar International, Inc. and Talex International, LLC in a dispute against a major Turkish power company. We obtained an injunction in aid of arbitration that ordered the respondent to prevent its affiliate from foreclosing on a $780 million project finance loan pending a Geneva Chamber of Commerce arbitration. Following this victory, a New York State intermediate appellate court affirmed a lower court decision granting a mandatory injunction.
- Lundin Mining Corporation, a Canada-based metals company, in litigation and arbitration against an affiliate of Freeport-McMoRan Inc., an Arizona-based natural resources company, related to the parties’ valuable mining operations in the Democratic Republic. The case was settled on favorable terms.