With the rising number of international disputes over the last few years, companies increasingly rely on strong, reputable and experienced lawyers to handle their most sensitive, high-stakes matters. We are deeply engaged in complex international arbitrations, both as counsel for parties to a dispute and as appointed arbitrators.
- Calvin Klein in an ICC arbitration with a licensee in Italy.
- Citigroup in a $7.5 billion arbitration brought in the International Centre for Dispute Resolution by the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA). The three-person arbitration panel unanimously decided in our client's favor.
- Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney in an AAA arbitration, being administered by the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), involving an employment dispute against a foreign-based investment firm that was their former employer.
- Invar International, Inc. and Talex International, LLC in a dispute against a major Turkish power company in which we won an important victory for our clients by obtaining an injunction in aid of arbitration that orders the respondent to prevent its affiliate from foreclosing on a $780 million project finance loan pending an arbitration in Switzerland. On July 7, 2011, the Appellate Division, First Department, affirmed the decision by Justice Bernard Fried granting a mandatory injunction.
- A Chinese-based telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration in Hong Kong with respect to a patent licensing dispute arising from a joint venture transaction with a global communications technology company.
- A German-based IT company in the radiotherapy field in an ICDR arbitration (and parallel litigation we filed on behalf of our client in Delaware) regarding a dispute under a long-running sales contract.
- A global oil and gas company in a dispute with its reinsurance carrier regarding property damage coverage for a Gulf of Mexico oil platform destroyed by Hurricane Ike.
- A large independent crude oil and natural gas producer and its insurer in an arbitration against their reinsurer regarding a dispute arising out of damages suffered at an off-shore oil platform.
- Private equity professionals in an international (ICDR) arbitration against a private equity firm based in the Middle East raising a variety of employment-related issues and seeking substantial damages.
- Paul, Weiss is also well known for its domestic arbitration experience, including:
- Aris Capital Management LLC in an AAA arbitration in which we obtained a multimillion dollar arbitration award when Aris, a fund-of-funds, brought claims for fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty against the management of a hedge fund in which Aris invested in 2007.
- Bear, Stearns in:
- the defense of an arbitration brought by hedge fund alleging fraud by Bear Stearns in connection with the pricing, valuation and analysis of collateralized debt obligations.
- in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority arbitration brought by a hedge fund in which the panel awarded the fund only $1.1 million, a small fraction of the $54 million in damages that it claimed it was owed.
- Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney in arbitration in which, after 25 hearing sessions spanning from February through October 2005 in New York City, an NASD panel dismissed all suitability and research claims against our client.
- Etkin and Co., Inc. in a fee dispute in which our client had helped sell the business and assets of a privately owned steel company to a major international steel producer. The steel company client then refused to pay the investment bank's fees. We aggressively pursued an arbitration against the steel company, which ultimately settled on the eve of arbitration hearings for a substantial sum paid to our client.
- Federal Insurance Co., a division of Chubb & Son, in confirmation by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit of a $20 million award in a previous arbitration against InterDigital, Inc. We have represented Federal Insurance since the original arbitration in which the arbitrator found that InterDigital owed Federal reimbursement for legal fees advanced by Federal in connection with InterDigital's patent litigation against Ericsson.
- Global Brass & Copper, a portfolio company of our long-time client and private equity firm KPS, in a purchase price adjustment arbitration in which our client received an extremely favorable ruling.
- Nielsen Media, Inc. in connection with an arbitration regarding protection of one of its most high-profile brands, "Billboard Live," associated with Billboard magazine. We obtained an AAA ruling that enabled Nielsen to terminate the license and regain control of the brand.
- Theory LLC, a well-known designer of contemporary men's and women's clothing that was purchased by our client Link International Co., Ltd. in 2003, in an arbitration regarding that sale. The arbitration award was a complete victory for Theory.