Awards & Recognition
Recent awards and recognition received by Paul, Weiss
The American Lawyer
Securities Litigation Department of the Year
Litigation Department of the Year
- The American Lawyer named Paul, Weiss its Litigation Department of the Year in 2006. The firm was selected as a finalist for the award in 2016 and 2010.
Dealmakers of the Week
- May 2015: Corporate partner Robert Schumer was named Dealmaker of the Week in recognition of his work for Time Warner Cable in its agreement to merge with Charter Communications, Inc.
- February 2014: Corporate partner Robert Schumer was selected as Dealmaker of the Week for his work for Time Warner in its $45.2 billion merger with Comcast Corporation (terminated).
Dealmakers of the Year
- 2011: Corporate partner Robert Schumer was named a Dealmaker of the Year for his role in the $3.3 billion sale of Warner Music to Access Industries and Time Warner Cable, Inc.'s $3 billion acquisition of cable company Insight Communications Co.
- 2009: Bankruptcy partner Andrew Rosenberg was named a Dealmaker of the Year for his role in the bankruptcy of CIT Group Inc.
- 2008: Former corporate parter Paul Ginsberg was named a Dealmaker of the Year in recognition of his work in Triarc Companies Inc.'s acquisition of Wendy's International.
- 2007: Corporate partner Jordan Yarett was selected as a Dealmaker of the Year for his representation of Lehman Brothers Inc., the lead underwriter and sole structuring agent for Dunkin' Brands Inc. in its $1.7 billion whole-business securitization.
- 2006: Corporate partner Robert Schumer was named as a Dealmaker of the Year for his role in Time Warner Inc.'s acquisition of Adelphia Communications.
- 2004: Bankruptcy partner Alan Kornberg was selected as a Dealmaker of the Year for his work in the Pacific Gas & Electric Company bankruptcy.
Litigators of the Week
- December 2016: Litigation partner Robert Atkins was named Litigator of the Week following a landmark antitrust appellate ruling for Paul, Weiss client Becton Dickinson.
- December 2014: Retired litigation partner Mark Pomerantz was named Litigator of the Week after the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit overturned the government's insider trading convictions against former hedge fund traders Anthony Chiasson and Todd Newman.
- February 2014: Litigation partner Ted Wells was selected as Litigator of the Week by AmLaw Daily following the release of an independent investigation into workplace conduct at the Miami Dolphins, which was prepared for the National Football League
- January 2014: Litigation partner Kenneth Gallo was named Litigator of the Week for his representation of Sharp Corporation and Sharp Electronics Corporation in its victory when the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois dismissed Motorola's claims covering $6.1 billion in commerce.
- June 2013: Litigation partner Roberta Kaplan was named Litigator of the Week for her successful representation of Edith Windsor in United States v. Windsor, the landmark Supreme Court decision that overturned section three of the Defense of Marriage Act.
- March 2012: Litigation partner Nicholas Groombridge was named Litigator of the Week in connection with a $170 million patent infringement verdict from a Texas federal jury for General Electric.
- November 2011: Litigation partner Brad Karp was selected as Litigator of the Week for his role in the successful defense of Citigroup in an arbitration brought before the AAA International Centre for Dispute Resolution by the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
- June 2010: Litigation partner Lew Clayton was named Litigator of the Week for his role in the $500 million settlement reached on behalf of the Alaska Retirement Management Board in its lawsuit against Mercer Inc.
Litigator of the Year
- Litigation partner Roberta Kaplan was named Litigator of the Year 2014 in connection with the firm's successful representation of Edith Windsor in the landmark victory in the Supreme Court challenging the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Global Legal Awards
- Paul, Weiss was recognized in two categories at The American Lawyer's 2016 Global Legal Awards: Global M&A Deal of the Year: Offshore for our work advising EXOR in its $6.9 billion successful unsolicited cash bid for PartnerRe Ltd, and Global Finance Deal of the Year: Private Restructuring for the firm's work as U.S. counsel to the Winding-up Board of Glitnir Bank hf, in the former Icelandic bank's chapter 15 case.
- Paul, Weiss was honored for two transactions at the 2015 Global Legal Awards: Global M&A Deal of the Year: Canada for Burger King's merger with Tim Hortons; and Global Finance Deal of the Year: Restructuring (U.S.) for its work for Capital Research on the NII Holdings restructuring.
- Paul, Weiss was recognized by The American Lawyer at the 2013 Global Legal Awards for Global M&A Deal of the Year: Canada for our role in the CNOOC/Nexen deal.
The American Lawyer's A-List
- Named to The American Lawyer's A-List 12 times since the list's inception in 2003. The A-List ranks top firms by financial performance, pro bono commitment, associate satisfaction and diversity.
The American Lawyer's Diversity Scorecard
- Recognized by The American Lawyer in 2013 as the #1 firm for diversity over the past decade.
- Ranked among the top 25 Most Diverse Law Firms for thirteen consecutive years, with two number one rankings, by The American Lawyer's Diversity Scorecard.
- Ranked among the top 25 law firms for our Percentage of Women Equity Partners in 2015 by The American Lawyer's Diversity Scorecard.
Women Partner Watch Honor Roll
- Named to The American Lawyer's 2014 Women Partner Watch Honor Roll recognizing Am Law 200 firms at which women comprise a significant percentage of the new partner class in two of the past three years.
Asian Legal Business
- Corporate partner Greg Liu was named one of 2017's Top 10 M&A Lawyers in China.
- Corporate partner Jeanette Chan was named 2015 Dealmaker of the Year at the Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards.
- Asian Legal Business honored Paul, Weiss for Equity Market Deal of the Year and M&A Deal of the Year at the 2013 Hong Kong Law Awards for the firm's involvement in Alibaba's buyback arrangement with Yahoo! Inc.
- At the 2013 Asian Legal Business China Law Awards, Paul, Weiss won Technology, Media & Telecoms Deal of the Year for its role in the Shanghai Disneyland Project, and Project Finance Deal of the Year for its work in Alibaba's repurchase of Yahoo!'s stake and related financing issues.
- Asian Legal Business recognized Paul, Weiss as one of five Tier 1 foreign firms in China and one of four Tier 1 firms in Hong Kong as part of its 2013 Private Equity Annual Rankings report.
- Benchmark Litigation selected four Paul, Weiss partners for its inaugural list of Top 10 Practitioners across 10 areas of practice: firm chair Brad Karp in Securities Law, and litigation partners Martin Flumenbaum, Rick Rule and Ted Wells in General Commercial, Antitrust and White-Collar Crime/Investigations, respectively.
- Paul, Weiss was named Benchmark Litigation's Securities Firm of the Year for 2016.
- Benchmark Litigation selected Paul, Weiss as Antitrust Firm of the Year for 2015.
- Litigation partners Martin Flumenbaum and Ted Wells were named to the inaugural Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America list in 2014.
- Litigation partners Susanna Buergel and Michele Hirshman were named in Benchmark's Top 250 Women in Litigation in 2014.
Canadian Dealmakers Awards
- Paul, Weiss was honored with two 2015 Canadian Dealmakers Awards.
- The firm was recognized with six 2014 Canadian Dealmakers Awards, in more categories than any other law firm, Canadian or U.S.
- Litigation partner David Bernick was named the winner in the Litigation: Business Trial Lawyers category of the 2016 Chambers USA Awards.
- Paul, Weiss was recognized in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA with high rankings in 34 practice areas across three jurisdictions: DC, NY and Nationwide; 92 partners were identified as "leaders in their fields."
- Paul, Weiss received the 2014 Chambers USA Client Service Award for its work in the Investment Funds category.
China Law & Practice
- Paul, Weiss was honored for Real Estate & Construction Deal of the Year and TMT Firm of the Year - International at the 2016 China Law & Practice Awards, and Jeanette Chan, managing partner of the China practice, was named the International Dealmaker of the Year.
- Paul, Weiss was selected for two honors at the 2015 China Law & Practice Awards: Private Equity Deal of the Year for our involvement in the take private transaction of Yongye International, Inc. and Most Innovative Team of the Year.
- China Law & Practice named Paul, Weiss International Telecommunications, Media & Technology Firm of the Year in 2014.
- China Law & Practice awarded Paul, Weiss Private Equity Deal of the Year in 2013 for the firm's involvement in the privatization of Focus Media.
Corporate Board Member
- Paul, Weiss has been named one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms by Corporate Board Member magazine for eight consecutive years.
Crain's New York Business
- Corporate partner Justin Hamill was named to the Crain's New York Business 40 Under 40 list in 2015. Past recipients of the recognition include corporate partners David Brown (2014) and Ariel Deckelbaum (2010).
- The Financial Times selected Paul, Weiss as one of the 15 most innovative law firms in the United States, Canada and Mexico in its 2014 North America Innovative Lawyers report.
- Litigation partner Roberta Kaplan was recognized as the Most Innovative Lawyer of 2014.
The Global Competition Review
- Paul, Weiss was recognized by the Global Competition Review with the 2015 Litigation of the Year - Cartel Defence award for our work representing Sharp Corp. and Sharp Electronics Corp. against antitrust claims brought by Motorola Mobility Inc.
The Hollywood Reporter
- Corporate partner Justin Hamill was named to The Hollywood Reporter's Power Lawyers list in 2012.
- Corporate partner Robert Schumer was selected by The Hollywood Reporter as one of its Power Lawyers in 2009 and 2011.
International Financial Law Review
- Corporate counsel Corinna Yu was recognized as a 2013 Rising Star female lawyer at the International Financial Law Review's Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
- Corporate partner Jeanette Chan was recognized as the leading female lawyer for Technology, Media, and Telecommunications in 2013 at the International Financial Law Review's Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
- Corporate partner Jeanette Chan was named the leading female lawyer in M&A/Private Equity in 2012 at the International Financial Law Review's Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
Practice Groups of the Year
- Litigation partner Ted Wells was named to Law360's inaugural Trial Aces listing.
Most Influential Women in Securities Law
- Litigation partner Susanna Buergel was recognized in the inaugural list of "The 25 Most Influential Women in Securities Law."
Pro Bono All Stars
Diversity & Inclusion
- In 2016, ranked 21st by Law360 among The Top 100 Law Firms for Minority Attorneys and named one of The Top 50 Firms for Minority Equity Partners.
- Ranked by Law360 among The 100 Best Law Firms for Female Attorneys in 2016.
The Legal 500
- The most recent edition of The Legal 500 US ranked 86 Paul, Weiss partners in 29 practice areas.
- The Legal 500 US named Paul, Weiss the top private equity funds law firm in the U.S. in 2014 and 2015.
The National Law Journal
- Paul, Weiss was recognized in The National Law Journal's 2015 Appellate Hot List.
- Litigation partner Ted Wells was recognized as one of The National Law Journal's Winning Litigators in 2011, 2009, 1999 and 1990. Past recipients of the recognition include Ken Gallo (2007) and Martin Flumenbaum (2005).
- Litigation partner Ted Wells was named one of The Decade's Most Influential Lawyers in 2010.
The New York Law Journal
- The New York Law Journal honored litigation partner Roberta Kaplan in the Lifetime Achievement category of its 2015 Lawyers Who Lead by Example awards.
- Firm chair Brad Karp was named a winner of a 2013 Impact Award by the New York Law Journal.
- Litigation partner Jessica Carey and real estate partner Salvatore Gogliormella were named to the New York Law Journal's list of 2016 Rising Stars.
- Corporate partner Justin Hamill was named a New York Law Journal 2014 Rising Star.
- Corporate partner Matthew Abbott and litigation partner David Brown were named New York Law Journal Rising Stars in 2013.
Private Funds Management
- Private Funds Management magazine named corporate partner Michael Hong to its list of the top 30 private funds lawyers under 40.
U.S. News & World Report - Best Lawyers
- Paul, Weiss was recognized as Law Firm of the Year for Corporate Law in the 2016 edition of the Best Law Firms rankings published by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Paul, Weiss was named Law Firm of the Year for Banking & Finance Litigation in the 2015 edition of the Best Law Firms rankings.
- Corporate partner Justin Hamill was featured in Variety's 2016 Legal Impact Report, which spotlights the top lawyers in the entertainment industry; corporate partner Ariel Deckelbaum and entertainment partner Chuck Googe were featured in the 2015 edition.
- Corporate partner Justin Hamill was featured in Variety's Hollywood's New Leaders in 2015.