ProfessionalsJacobus J. Schutte
A counsel in the Litigation Department, Janus Schutte has extensive experience handling a broad range of regulatory and complex commercial litigation matters, particularly on behalf of financial institutions. In addition to his litigation and trial experience, Janus has helped numerous clients navigate internal investigations, enforcement proceedings, and Bank Secrecy Act/anti-money laundering matters.
Significant representations include:
- multiple financial institutions in connection with anti-money laundering compliance issues and regulatory investigations;
- a financial institution in an internal investigation regarding sales practice and incentive compensation related issues;
- an Asian automobile manufacturer in investigations and litigations related to allegedly defective airbags;
- a U.S. manufacturer in product defect litigation; and
- a U.S. financial institution in actions in federal and state courts relating to structured mortgage products, including mortgage-backed securities.
With respect to BSA/AML issues, Janus has advised multiple financial institutions on their compliance programs, including corporate governance, bank-wide policies and procedures, customer due diligence, transaction monitoring and sanctions screening, risk assessments, and management structure.
He has also assisted financial institutions with supervisory exams, enforcement actions, remediation action plans, internal investigations, and ongoing regulatory communications.