ProfessionalsJacobus J. Schutte
A counsel in the Litigation Department, Janus Schutte has extensive experience handling a broad range of regulatory and complex commercial litigation matters, particularly on behalf of financial institutions. In addition to his litigation and trial experience, Janus has helped numerous clients navigate internal investigations, enforcement proceedings, and Bank Secrecy Act/anti-money laundering matters.
Significant representations include:
- A Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Credit Suisse Group AG in an investigation and widely anticipated report on the Bank’s relationship with Archegos Capital Management following the fund’s default and Credit Suisse’s related losses;
- Multiple financial institutions in connection with anti-money laundering compliance issues and regulatory investigations;
- A leading global market maker in an investigation by a State Attorney General relating to algorithmic trading practices;
- A Special Committee of the Board of a financial institution in an internal investigation of sales practice and incentive compensation issues at a non-U.S. subsidiary;
- Representation of Tesla’s directors, in investigations and litigation arising out of Elon Musk’s “going private” tweets;
- An Asian automobile manufacturer in investigations and litigations related to allegedly defective airbags;
- A U.S. manufacturer in product defect litigation; and
- A U.S. financial institution in actions in federal and state courts relating to structured mortgage products, including mortgage-backed securities.
Janus has also assisted financial institutions with supervisory exams, enforcement actions, remediation action plans, internal investigations, and ongoing regulatory communications.